The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

automatically formatted imported data Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I generate a bunch of data ... a trace, with varying levels of details. What I would like to do is to import/paste the trace into OOP where the various levels of trace data create different/subordination levels. For example:

TRACE ENTRY 1
TRACE DETAIL: data data
EVEN MORE DETAIL - lower level data
more lower level data
EVEN MORE DETAIL - lower level data
TRACE DETAIL: data data
TRACE ENTRY 2

Where one view could look like
>TRACE ENTRY 1
>TRACE ENTRY 2

then
VTRACE ENTRY 1
>TRACE DETAIL: data data
>TRACE ENTRY 2

etc.

Is this possible with OOP? Or OmniFocus?

thanks in advance,
Mike.

well, the example didn't format as I expected ... each subsequent detail level can either have a number of spaces, or a special/unique character per level.

sorry & thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike-

I might not be fully understanding your example but as far as importing text and having it format into an outline structure, you want to use tab characters. Each leading tab character will translate into a new row level so you can have:

Row 1
<tab>Row 2a
<tab>Row 2b
<tab><tab>Row 3
<tab>Row 2c

etc.

Thanks, that works. I know this was a newby question, but the key problem for me was that this works when I have the entire first line selected, not an insertion point in the first line. (wrong terminology I'm sure). Its a simple, not used to the tool, problem.

Actually, its quite excellent for this trace (requires a bit of processing between the generation and paste, but that's fine) ... now to figure out how to do some more fancy editing of columns.

thanks for your help,
Mike.