The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

SP11 Excessive Processor usage on MacBook Pro? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
SP11 is chewing up a lot of cycles on my system. Activity monitor shows it constantly at 90%+. At the moment, it's hidden with 61 tabs open but all the pages are drawn/loaded.

I can understand OW using a fair amount of cycles while actively loading/drawing pages, but when windows are minimized or the app is hidden, I would expect the utilization to be reduced a fair amount.

I'm a bit perplexed as I don't recall earlier SP releases hogging the processor so much and sometimes SP11 will settle down somewhat (using only 80%).

With OW running, my processor utilization is > 60% per core. Without OW running, my processor utilization is ~20% per core.

What can I provide to help resolve this?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jon

There are probably a dozen or so posts on this, and a handful of threads. Overall it seems that there are some sites which cause OW to do this and the only way to clear it up is to relaunch OW.

When I look at samples of the OmniWeb process when this happens, there tend to be a lot of KJS related messages (which presumably stands for Konquerer JavaScript but don't quote me on that) so maybe it is JS related? But who knows? Hopefully OmniGroup do!

I sent some samples in. Part of one of the replies was:
"it looks as though javascript is spending most of it's time in the garbage collector"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
There are probably a dozen or so posts on this, and a handful of threads. Overall it seems that there are some sites which cause OW to do this and the only way to clear it up is to relaunch OW.
Even quitting SP11 and relaunching doesn't change the situation-I'm immediately back to 90% after the pages load.

I just bookmarked & closed 21 tabs (mostly avaya.com support pages) and now I'm down to SP11 using 2-5%. There really needs to be a way withon OW to ID problem pages, because I was going crazy watching my fast machine get really bogged down.

Thanks for the tips.

If you are getting it with specific sites like that, then make sure you let OmniGroup know as that may be a different bug altogether. To help them out, perform a Sample of the OmniWeb process in Activity Monitor when it occurs:

N.B. I have customised the Activity Monitor toolbar to add the Sample button.

Yeah. As I mentioned in another thread, I have sent the OG some samples and they've let me know it's likely a JS issue.