The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Make Axis Date Range Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there any way to do this? I can't find anything in the help menus or forum. Thanks.

Well, I guess if the Mac version doesn't support date range on an axis, the iPad version certainly won't. I'm really surprised that OMNI didn't add this functionality to either program. I'm desperate for an iPhone or iPad app that will track and plot data with a built-in engine for automatically calculating date range on an axis. Dayta doesn't cut it, I don't want OmniPlan (it's just data, not a project), and Lose It! is just for weight. Isn't there some iOS app out that that will do this? Maybe Numbers....

Numbers doesn't understand it either, but you can fake it...
1) You need a helper column that translates the dates to numbers, e.g. calculate distance from first row with DATEDIF(), and use that as the x axis data
2) You need to use a scatterplot to get meaningful spacing on the axis, other chart types will be evenly spaced instead of reflecting actual time passed between x axis data
3) There is no way to get it to display the dates on the axis in a scatterplot (it can only format axis data numerically), so if you need dates there you need to place them manually

Rather annoying situation... of course if even spacing on the x axis is okay, it's trivial to do that. But that's possible with OmniGS too since you can change the text on value labels.

If you use Numbers to maintain your data in the above way, you can also paste the generated x plus your y data into OmniGS, where it's easier to adjust value labels on the x axis. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be possible to lock these changed labels in place, so they will disappear whenever the scale changes, e.g. when you paste new data into the same graph that causes the axis to expand. It will actually remember all changed labels except at the origin, so you can adjust the scale and spacing so that they show again, but at some point I just prefer to get out a pencil and a piece of paper and be done with it in two minutes...

OmniGS can already handle huge numbers... it could all be so easy if it could be configured to treat them as seconds, and show those as dates... but nooo, it has to be hard to use the second most common type of axis data in a chart...

Sorry for the frustration guys!

Date/Time Axis scales are possible, but not easy, when using a spreadsheet app as Danny describes. Native date/time support is something we've got a feature request for in the development database; if this is something that's important to you please remember to email us and let us know.