The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

one-size-fits all alarms not useful to me Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
My one foray into trying notifications for OF on my iPod Touch was a disaster. I definitely don't want a notification for EVERY single thing, and right now they're an all-or-nothing proposition.

But I would like notifications for SOME things. As it is I find myself awkwardly shuffling events over to Calendar (or Pocket Informant) to get a notification for it.

Every garden-variety iPhone calendar app offers notifications for specific events. Why can't OF offer custom notifications on a per-task basis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandelay View Post
Why can't OF offer custom notifications on a per-task basis?
Because the code and interface required to add a "do X for all items that have a due date when this application preference is turned on" feature is easier to write, test, and localize. :-)

Item-by-item alerts are more complex, but we do have a feature request open for them; email the support ninjas and they can add you to the list of folks that would like to see it added. Thanks!

I just wish the existing alerts had an option that would allow you to include the project name along with the task name. This is something I've been asking for for a long time. Am I the only person who has multiple projected for different people than involve many of the same action items? Without the project name it can be hard to determine what an item like "Send invoice" refers to.

But if the notification also included XYZ Co Agreement, all would be good.

I'm pretty sure we have a feature request open on that - so email the support ninjas if you haven't already - but in the meantime, the workaround would be to try and choose action names that are individually identifiable...

I'm also frustrated with the notification feature on my iPhone, having looked forward to it coming for so long.. As it only has the option to sound off at the very time the task becomes "over due". Ideally, I guess I would like to be able to set individual warnings at differing intervals before that point... I.e. an hour's warning before a task reaches it's due point.

And I agree.. I sure don't need or want a series of alarms going off all day..it would be great to be able to choose which tasks require alarms..and at what point before the task becomes overdue that they would sound... Exactly like iCal I guess..

Last edited by Fiona; 2010-11-29 at 01:58 PM..

I keep going back and forth between OmniFocus and ToDoMatrix on my iPhone. Can't decide which one to stay with but weighing in here regarding alerts. If OF will mimic what ToDoMatrix does with alerts (which is perfect) OF will be my choice moving forward. As it is, OF is just about halfway useful for me without a sufficient alert system. On the other hand... ToDoMatrix only has a web-based option (no desktop application) and it's slow when using iPhone tethering. This week I'm back with OF because I'm doing a lot of work from the office and I like using the desktop app on my MacBook Pro.

Still doing multiple entry here -- everything is set up in OmniFocus, but things that I need specific reminders for have to go onto my calendar as well.

It's a mess. I just want to set an alarm on a given task. I bet a lot of people would find this useful.

If an app like Due (among others) can send out time-based alerts, I just don't see why OF can't be made to.

Last edited by avandelay; 2011-03-17 at 11:19 AM..

What sorts of things do you need reminders about where this double entry is helpful? Do you need a 3pm reminder to call someone, a reminder to pay the phone bill at the end of the month, or what?

I get time-based notifications of impending due items on my iPhone and iPad all the time with the OmniFocus Reminders calendar. Now, I don't get the option of different lead times for each item, that's true, but by regular reviewing of my projects, I'm alerted to such items before my back is against the wall. If I get them done before the notification goes off, no unwanted notification appears.

There's certainly nothing impossible about making a more customizable notification feature for OF; the question is whether that's the best use of the available development resources. Just pointing out that some other app has more customizable alerts doesn't really paint a compelling picture of how such a feature would improve OmniFocus. Explaining your workflow and describing the difficulties you encounter with the current tools makes for a more useful picture, gives Omni insight as to whether any proposed design is likely to help, and also allows for suggestions on ways that you could adjust your workflow to accommodate the current tools. If your workflow didn't depend so heavily on notifications (as I assume it must, given that you are going to the trouble of entering most of it twice), you might find that the current scheme is adequate. Lots of notifications won't help you get more work done, they'll just interrupt you more often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
What sorts of things do you need reminders about where this double entry is helpful?
Lots of stuff. Things that involve other people, things that have to happen at a specific time. I put due dates on some things just so they stay fresh for me when using my "due soon" perspective, but let's face it, some things HAVE to get done at certain times and maybe I'd like to know one hour, one day, 30 minutes beforehand depending on what it is

Quote:
I get time-based notifications of impending due items on my iPhone and iPad all the time with the OmniFocus Reminders calendar. Now, I don't get the option of different lead times for each item, that's true,
Right. That's my point. I a) don't want my calendar cluttered with everything in OF, and b) would like flexible notifications. Also, c) I don't need to have reminders popping off for every task that comes due. I don't think this is a very unusual request.

Quote:
the question is whether that's the best use of the available development resources.
I'm just stating what I would find useful. Let's leave it up to the developers to prioritize their time without questioning what is the "best" use of their resources.

Quote:
Just pointing out that some other app has more customizable alerts doesn't really paint a compelling picture of how such a feature would improve OmniFocus.
Well, it's not going to be compelling to you because, as you said above, you don't need alerts, or are satisfied with the way they work now, right? That's great, I'm glad you're satisfied. I'm pointing out something that people besides you may well find useful. See also the other replies in this thread.

As for the reason I pointed out that other apps offer timed alerts, I was mainly responding to the FAQ (this page: http://www.omnigroup.com/products/om...hone/support/_
where it says

Quote:
Why don't you have sync over the USB cable, or timed alerts, or color-coded badges on the app icon, or rich text, or [other obviously useful but absent feature]? These are all limitations of the iPhone platform, not design choices.
...which seems a bit misleading. After all, like I said above, other apps offer timed alerts independent of network access -- so it's clearly possible.

And like I've said above -- flexible, local alerts just doesn't seem like a very unusual feature to have in a task management system. Much simpler (and let's say it: less expensive) apps have them, so I just can't see why I have to go through some complicated calendar scheme (and clutter everything in the process) to be reminded of a particular task that's coming due.

Last edited by avandelay; 2011-03-18 at 11:21 PM..