The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sending/Syncing OmniOutliner docs to the iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Has anyone found a convenient way to do this?

I only really need a one way sync - i.e. to be able to read the docs on the phone

It's possible to mail opml docs to CarbonFin outliner, but that eliminates a lot of features:
- formatting is lost
- extra columns are lost
- attachments are lost

I've had best results exporting the OO file as dynamic html to iDisk and then viewing the doc from the iDisk app on the phone but:
- iDisk often needs a connection, it doesn't guarantee to cache all the data (keeps most recently viewed until the cache is full, then older docs are purged)
- Attachments don't link from the doc - but are present as separate files so can still be viewed - but don't have useful names.

Just discovered that iThoughts (mind map editor) can import opml from iDisk, and once that's done will remember where the file came from and sync changes (when asked to) on a whole file basis. But attachments and (obviously) formatting is lost.

Navigation to a note can be hard - since a mind map derived from a complex outline can be bewilderingly huge.

GoodReader will sync files and folders from iDisk (and everything else).

If I export from OO to dynamic html and sync that folder with GoodReader then when I view the document in GoodReader the attachments link properly.

Thanks for this thread, psidnell :)

I really think the Omni guys should make a viewer app for the iPhone, but until then I guess we'll have to make do with exports.

I wanted to use Dropbox for this, and there the dynamic html didn't work so good for me since it can't handle checkboxes. What worked best in the Dropbox iPhone viewer for my document was an .rtf export.