The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Tracking unplanned and "as it shows up" actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've been trying to input unplanned and 'as it shows up' work so that I can show my boss all the things that take away from planned work. So far I've been using "UP: " in front of unplanned work (as a tag). I've done this kind of reporting at times over the years, and find it a bit useful, although the overhead of doing so vs. the potential payback (more understanding from my boss) seems to only be worthwhile every so often (a sampling of all actions, that is). I'm sure some would say don't bother documenting uplannned and 'as it shows up' work, and others would say it is useful. Depends on the circumstances obviously.

"Unplanned" work is a bit nebulous, since a good deal of my job is to respond to unplanned situations (server down, etc., etc.), and in some cases it refers to projects/actions that I've been asked to move ahead of my planned actions list (which is always huge). In that latter case, it sometimes ends up being a project; I guess I'm trying to tag it as something that is being cut ahead into my schedule by someone else or even circumstance. I'm debating whether to distinguish unplanned (UP) from 'as it shows up' (AISU or maybe SU -- grasping for acroynms) actions in OF, during times that I capture all work, even non-planned.

Curious what others do or don't do.

Bob

Last edited by omnibob; 2007-11-03 at 08:22 AM..