The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

New Version of OmniFocus Web Interface [Old Thread] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidmf View Post
A couple of questions (some issues touched on above):

a) Can the Web Interface script be run without being logged in?
Tried to restart this last night after a remote reboot, and the answer to this one is: NO.

The web interface is amazing. Thank you to all for your hard work.

I hope to be able to carry my context lists with me on my iPhone, but I only connect when near wifi. Is there some way to take my lists with me? e.g. is it possible for the lists to be exported for use when away from the server connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2blue View Post
I'm not using an iPhone(yet) or have the specific need to remotely view OmniFocus via a browser(yet), but I admire the work each of you have done on this so far. Might I suggest a big picture view of how to refine this solution? Yeah, I know, I'm not really asking permission... :)

Mostly I wanted to recommend that instead of running a web server on your personal computer that has OF installed that you consider "syndicating" the content of OF on a well maintained server service. ...
My question to this is: why? As you make clear, this approach means that you have to add a sync step. The big advantage to your running your own server is that it immediately applies your changes to the actual copy of Omnifocus that you are using. I don't see any upside to running it somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidmf View Post
A couple of questions (some issues touched on above):

a) Can the Web Interface script be run without being logged in?

b) Does it require the OmniFocus app to be running at the same time (this appears to be the case since I see it startup)? If so, can OmniFocus be run as a startup item?

c) Has anyone configured a setup so that the OmniFocus Web Interface is served from a computer that is on, but no user logged in?

d) Has anyone written the required launchd configuration files and, if so, could they be shared with us?

I'm trying to work out how to maintain access to OmniFocus data on my office computer (which is always on, but logged out at night) from both my laptop at home and from an iPhone. (I'd like to sync my home laptop to the data, too, but that looks like it will be a separate issue.)

Thanks for any insights.
I have attached my Startup Item, which you put into /Library/Startup Items to make work, with absolutely no guarantee that it does anything useful for you. You must be logged in with OmniFocus running for the whole thing to work, because Omnifocus AFAIK requires you to be logged in to run.
It assumes that the web interface is installed at "/Users/rcook/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/Web Interface/script/server". You obviously need to change this for your computer. I don't know if the webrick argument works on Tiger.
Attached Files
File Type: zip OmniFocusWebInterface.zip (2.5 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by wealthychef; 2007-12-02 at 06:47 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward Thinker View Post
The web interface is amazing. Thank you to all for your hard work.

I hope to be able to carry my context lists with me on my iPhone, but I only connect when near wifi. Is there some way to take my lists with me? e.g. is it possible for the lists to be exported for use when away from the server connection?
No. The case you are asking about is the justification they used for canning this project in the first place. I heard OmniGroup are planning to make a mobile version of OF when apple releases their SDK.

Well, when I'm away from mac, and even out of range of wifi, I still create emails to myself with any new tasks that pop into my mind. When I get back to wifi, they get sent and show up in Inbox.

I don't really need a mobile version of OF yet (but wouldn't that be wonderful!!), but I would like to see the errands and phone lists, for example. In the past I've printed to PDF and emailed it to myself. Any other workflows out there?

I guess your other option is the iCal route. If you get in the habit of syncing regularly, it works ok. I did it with my Palm Treo and iCal for a long time, before I discovered GTD.

wealthychef: Thanks for posting the web interface startup app! Strangely, I can't access your attachment even though I'm registered. It keeps asking for my login credentials. Would you mind posting it to a web site instead?

If you give me a login somewhere and agree to share it publicly, I'll post it on your site, but I don't want to get slashdotted. :-) Or point me to some third party hosting service?

Hello,

I've seen someone asking about exporting...
I've just tried 1Password a few days ago, and they do export to iPhone using a technique I know nothing about : Safari bookmarks. It seems you can have special types of bookmarks that do encapsulate webpages so you can view them locally.
Some explanations here :
http://switchersblog.com/2007/10/05/...d-manager.html

This could be some way of doing this.
No way to "edit" the information, but at least a way to read it.

What do you think ? Anybody here knows about this ?