The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

postponing Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to do something that I think should be really simple, but I can't figure it out.

On either a task or project, I'd like to be able to postpone it. In other words, decide that I don't want to see it at all until a certain date, then on that date, it show up. I realize that I can put a project "on hold", but I don't see where I can bring it back in to my project list on a certain date. That's what I'm looking for. For a task as well. I don't want to see it cluttering my list again, until the date that I want to see it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-

Quote:
Originally Posted by maysjp View Post
I'd like to do something that I think should be really simple, but I can't figure it out.

On either a task or project, I'd like to be able to postpone it. In other words, decide that I don't want to see it at all until a certain date, then on that date, it show up. I realize that I can put a project "on hold", but I don't see where I can bring it back in to my project list on a certain date. That's what I'm looking for. For a task as well. I don't want to see it cluttering my list again, until the date that I want to see it.
That's what the Start Date field is intended for: set the start date on an action or project, and it will become unavailable until that date. You can hide postponed actions from the main outline by showing "available" actions rather than "remaining" actions, and you can hide postponed projects from your sidebar by only showing "active" projects.

Hope this helps!

In addition to what Ken suggests, you might want to put together a "tickler" perspective, which is a context mode view, grouped by start date. This gives you an easy way to search out the stuff that has just (re)appeared on your plate amidst all of the stuff that you were already juggling. You can close all but the "Started today" groups before saving it for a cleaner look.

Perfect. Huge help. Thanks guys.