The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

My take: Syncing was not ready for prime time Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
Good luck Kid (isn't that a Boggie quote?)

I figured out that some of what was going on was likely due to damage done to my OF data base while installing 1.1. So some of my problems may have been only indirectly sync related...though they could have been avoided if 1.1 was an actual upgrade rather than an alpha.
########

I figured out the same thing, and came up with a workaround:

1. I made a backup copy of my original DB, renaming it something like Omnifocus_original. This is important. Then I deleted the original DB from the Application Support Folder. I also made sure the sync copy on .Mac (I hate the new name MobileMe) was deleted.

2. Then I installed a fresh copy of OF/iPhone on the iPhone and selected New Database for the iPhone (local copy) as it starts up for the first time. I then synced that to the iDisk, and then synced the iDisk to my Laptop copy of OF. Everything synced, so far so good, because all was a fresh unused copy of OF (with default actions.).

3. Now I have a sync-able DB of OF on my laptop, created originally on the iPhone. Next I opened that database, and also opened the "original database" by double clicking on it. Both are opened in separate windows on the desktop.

4. Now delete all the "starter" actions from the empty database, making it truly empty. Now go over to the original database's sidebar, and click your project, or folder full of projects, and option-c (copy) that. Mouse over to the empty database, and paste these in that sidebar. Do this as many times as you need to to get everything there.

5. I synced a few times during that process, up to the .Mac and then down to the iPhone, and sure enough, everything ended up on the iPhone looking great.

6. Last I did need to click in the contexts sidebars, and "clean up a little" there, as several contexts showed up with no title. Click the untitled context, figure out what it is and then just title it. All this synced just fine.

It took 2 days to figure out to do this, figuring out that the 1.1 upgraded DB was the culprit. But it only took roughly an hour to finally implement it. Hope this can save somebody several hours of figuring things out.

Last edited by Brian; 2008-07-14 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: fixed an un-closed Quote tag

Dude,

I read your post just fine. I didn't sign up to buy a program that required alpha software to make it do the advertised syncing, which is the point of the program for people who already have the OF desktop version.

I would make a guess at what most are experiencing from the content on the forum.

That was a real long way from going nuts on you, trust me ;)

Last edited by MichaelG; 2008-07-13 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: clarity

Quote:
Dude,

I read your post just fine. If didn't sign up to buy a program that required alpha software to make it do the advertised syncing that is the point of the program for people who already have the OF desktop version.

I would make a guess at what most are experiencing from the content on the forum.

Trust me, that was a real long way from going nuts on you.
I'll trust you about going nuts. However, we have no data for happy or non-happy customers. Going off forum reactions is a dangerous way to guess. Sorry for the intrusion.

[QUOTE=oiden;40540]
Quote:
Good luck Kid (isn't that a Boggie quote?)

I figured out that some of what was going on was likely due to damage done to my OF data base while installing 1.1. So some of my problems may have been only indirectly sync related...though they could have been avoided if 1.1 was an actual upgrade rather than an alpha.
########

I figured out the same thing, and came up with a workaround:

1. I made a backup copy of my original DB, renaming it something like Omnifocus_original. This is important. Then I deleted the original DB from the Application Support Folder. I also made sure the sync copy on .Mac (I hate the new name MobileMe) was deleted.

2. Then I installed a fresh copy of OF/iPhone on the iPhone and selected New Database for the iPhone (local copy) as it starts up for the first time. I then synced that to the iDisk, and then synced the iDisk to my Laptop copy of OF. Everything synced, so far so good, because all was a fresh unused copy of OF (with default actions.).

3. Now I have a sync-able DB of OF on my laptop, created originally on the iPhone. Next I opened that database, and also opened the "original database" by double clicking on it. Both are opened in separate windows on the desktop.

4. Now delete all the "starter" actions from the empty database, making it truly empty. Now go over to the original database's sidebar, and click your project, or folder full of projects, and option-c (copy) that. Mouse over to the empty database, and paste these in that sidebar. Do this as many times as you need to to get everything there.

5. I synced a few times during that process, up to the .Mac and then down to the iPhone, and sure enough, everything ended up on the iPhone looking great.

6. Last I did need to click in the contexts sidebars, and "clean up a little" there, as several contexts showed up with no title. Click the untitled context, figure out what it is and then just title it. All this synced just fine.

It took 2 days to figure out to do this, figuring out that the 1.1 upgraded DB was the culprit. But it only took roughly an hour to finally implement it. Hope this can save somebody several hours of figuring things out.
Now here is a helpful post Oiden. Thank you for going through the work to spell out the details. This is detailed enough and addresses the problems I was experiencing. I might just give it one more go.

awesome...I tried to be detailed enough, hope it works for you. I think the core of the whole sync issue, at least for me, was that my old DB, even updated to 1.1, had problem with the contexts and folders of contexts. That is why they finally showed up blank & untitled after the copy and paste of projects.

So FINALLY, I am outta here, to the dogpark, with my OF on the phone and functional. Time to get some sun!

Something else that may help the folks using WebDav as their sync system...

I personally use my MobileMe account for syncing, but my friend also purchased OF and iOF, and planned to use WebDav. He got WebDav up and running on his iMac at home, and even synced a few iCals for the family. Perfecto.

...or so he thought. When he went to the store, he thought of something he'd like to do at home, and added it to iOF. When he got home, it wasn't there. After fiddling, he got it to sync, but once again, if he added something away from home, it didn't sync at all well.

He finally called me in frustration, and I pointed out to him that his ISP (the same one I use) blocks port 80 by default, as well as 8080, so he unless he played with his ports, he wouldn't be able to sync when he was not connected to his home router.

After a bit of walking him through it, he finally got his web port to appear on 8090, and started syncing fine using a dynamic DNS provider.

Point being here, sometimes syncing won't be because of the software, but the network you're using. Obviously that won't help everyone, but the software does seem to run pretty good for most people who aren't using a weirder network setup.

Just a thought.

I have been having a multitude of problems to do with syncing and am also especially annoyed at how this has been sold on the App store.

I bought the omni focus app to use on my ipod touch, thinking (as stated on the apple app store) i could sync with my existing omni focus product on the Mac.

While there is functionality to do that, its not ready for prime time, and shouldn't have been sold in its current state. Getting the app to sync (or even pick up the mac database settings) is a nightmare, for those of us not familiar with WebDav and iDisk, and i dont see why after PAYING GOOD MONEY for an app with functionality stated, i should then have to poke about in various settings, rely on 3rd party tools and hunt through various websites in order to try to decipher what i am supposed to do. This is precisely the reason why i don't own a PC any longer and switched to MAC.

I have been using Omni apps for some time and up until this point felt they were pretty good quality, this has experience has been a major headache for me and considering that the app is charged at the top end of the current priced apps in the store been all the harder for me to swallow.

Unfortunately i wont be recommending this app to my friends, i find it rather ironic that a productivity application for people who have no time requires they spend a vast amount of it on a mundane task that shouldnt be required, and as a result i wont be either.

From the responses on this forum, a subset of users at large, it's clear that Omni didn't grok what would happen. 'nuf said.

So where to go now?

I suspect that the most trivial thing in the short term is to set up an omni-hosted WebDAV server for the length of the alpha/beta. This will give them breathing room time to consider the options, at a total cost of a bit of system administration and pushing out two binaries. (A pop-up should disclaim any serious use on this hosted platform, testing, etc.)

I suspect the middle-term solution is to package a script which will change the stock Leopard set-up to enable WebDAV plus some testing code for port-forwarding. I'm guessing Bonjour didn't do something necessary, as it was the route I thought I'd see on day one.

The long-term solution is more muddy. Omni has said they don't want to be in the systems business. Probably right. I doubt they want to be held hostage to MobileMe. So I think a tiered solution will come out: something for people wanting local sync, something for small companies (work out a package with 1and1.com, for example), and something for big companies who already have their infrastructure in place.
Given Omni's track record I'm sure they'll come up with The Right Thing, but as they're now treading outside of the app the solution may not be as obvious as some may think.

For the record, I set it up via local WebDAV, but I'm going to have to figure out how to properly get dyndns.org to get the Ethernet address and Just Work both when my MBP is at home (Comcast cable) and work (intranet).

I agree with all of that. It is not what it should be, but Oiden's post above so far has me actually syncing successfully for the past 5 min, with the $20 BingoDisk option. Folks shouldn't have had to pay that without being cued ahead of time, but I'll take it. OF on the hoof will be wonderful when it gets the kinks out. I'm not getting my hopes too high til it works consistently for a bit. Too many ups and downs over the past couple days. I think what he and I experienced as far as a conflict btw data bases is a key issue. Will keep you posted.