The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus on iPad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would like it if Omni didn't put all their efforts into the iPad.

I'm not getting one, and aside from it's novelty, it's going to be subject to further upgrades and revisions. I think most people don't even know what they are using if for yet.

I think a lot of people are expecting the iPad to be like a small laptop, which it's not.

I would love it Omni continued to focus on developing and refining it's current stable of applications for actual computers.

Thanks and keep up the great work Omni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
However, there must be a reason why other devs are requiring another download even for free apps?
My understanding is that the iPad development kit offers code/options that the iPhone kit doesn't.

Universal applications either need to forgo the extra stuff that's only in the iPad SDK, or they need to try to support both side-by-side throughout the project. The latter means you have to do extra work on each feature and deal with any bugs resulting from that approach down the line.

Last edited by Brian; 2010-04-05 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: whoops - removed an extraneous word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodude View Post
But, I don't want to buy the iPhone version and then have to pay another $20 (or however much the price is) for an iPad version whenever it comes out. Is there an upgrade route planned?
You're certainly not alone in feeling this way! At the same time, the App Store only lets us charge one price for an app, regardless of any other purchases the customer may have made.

(We don't have the option of doing the same kind of discounting that we do on our own online store, and we can't send info from our store to theirs, in other words.)

It's a tough nut to crack.

We take all of the above into account while thinking about pricing for our iPad/iPhone apps, but we don't know what we'll ultimately do for OmniFocus. It's hard to make a decision when we haven't built the app yet. :-)

In the meantime, we are listening to the feedback that we get from folks, so keep it coming!

Butter, it's safe to conclude that Omni has concluded on their own whether it's economically important enough for them to produce an iPad version of OmniFocus, in which case it's a bit presumptious to ask them to change their strategy. That said, it's fine to opine on whether one thinks the iPad is or isn't (fill in the blank). I can understand your expectations aren't met. By the same token, it doesn't mean the iPad won't meet mine or others' expectations.

The pricing issue is annoying. That and other constraints Apple puts on iTMS are insane. I imagine at some point Apple will get enough pressure that they will break open the scheme at least somewhat. They're not necessarily being smart about these things.

Personally, it had been my understanding that Omni would at least release a native-resolution update of OmniFocus for the iPad.

I'm more than happy to live with the current functionality and UI in 1.6 until such time as a more iPad-like 2.0 can be developed, but the current pixel-doubled version is just extra-ugly. I would much rather have seen Omni take the approach that Marco Arment took with Instapaper -- get a basic native-resolution version out as soon as possible and then work on the full-fledged iPad version for later.

I don't understand why this is a "tough nut to crack". Can you enlighten us? I'm being sincere.

Another paid app of mine, 1Passwd Pro, upgraded to an iPad native resolution interface today. No additional purchase require. No separate app download required.

How are these devs doing this? It doesn't sound like it's impossible. What are we missing as OF iPhone users?

Guys a couple of things

1. I think that people who have invested in omnifocus for Mac should get some kind of break on the pricing for the iPhone or iPad versions.. $19.95 just seems a little to high I would like $9.95 for existing users. Since apple is selling 3 pretty powerful apps for $9.95 it just seems a little high

That said I'll buy it the day you have it

2. I really would like to have omnifocus interact with entourage and not just Mac apps... Some of have to use it for cop orate use and it just is a pain not to be able to use entourage.

What would be really cool is if you could synch with projects within entourage or create automatically new projects under entourage... Especially if it was clever enough to seek all documents and emails associated with that project and keep it in one place.. Now that would be really cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
Personally, it had been my understanding that Omni would at least release a native-resolution update of OmniFocus for the iPad.
Where did you get that idea? Again, I'm being sincere.

Jdh,

if anything I posted led to your impression of what was going to happen, I apologize. I had somehow gotten the same idea, but looking back at what was actually posted by Omni folk, I don't see why.

I'm not as bothered by unrefined text when running pixel-doubled, as the original isn't exactly something I use to demonstrate the graphics possibilities of the iPod, either. I mostly just use the pixel-doubling to get a bigger keyboard footprint. It would be nice to be able to use that extra screen real estate to get more items on the screen, though. If they could provide us with a version of the current app that just used all the real estate without sidetracking the project to make a "real" iPad app, I'd be happy to run it, and it wouldn't reduce the likelihood of collecting some revenue from me for the real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herefromoz View Post
1. I think that people who have invested in omnifocus for Mac should get some kind of break on the pricing for the iPhone or iPad versions.. $19.95 just seems a little to high I would like $9.95 for existing users. Since apple is selling 3 pretty powerful apps for $9.95 it just seems a little high
This was hashed out at great length when the iPhone/iPod version initially hit the streets. A couple of relevant points:
  • Developers don't know who buys their product through the App Store -- Apple does not provide that information
  • Apple doesn't allow variable pricing for things in the App Store
  • Apple gets to keep 100% of the sales price of its apps, not 70% like other developers
  • Apple gets the profits of selling the iPad itself

Also, buying software from Omni gets you their excellent support. Apple's support in general isn't bad (so long as you are still under warranty) but in my opinion, it isn't as good as Omni's and you almost never get to talk to anyone who actually has any influence over the product.

In my experience, the convenience of having OmniFocus on my iPod quickly made up the cost of purchase by optimizing errands and enabling ubiquitous capture. Flipping it around, what would they have to do to make you think it was worth the extra $10?