The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone support through... images Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I saw that the support for the iPhone has been recently dropped. I can understand that. Creating a nice web UI for the iPhone is not a simple task to start with and in addition to that it poses deployment issues (with firewalls and the likes). I can totally understand why this decision was made; getting a version 1.0 out of the door is not a time to boil the ocean.

But still, we need a way to take with us on the road all the content we have in OF. Printing is one way. But what if OF was able to save this data in PNG files? Say with one PNG file per perspective. Then you could setup OF to save those images to your iPhoto folder and have those automatically synchronized on your iPhone every time you plug it in.

Some will say that this is not an elegant solution. I think it is: it is both very simple and should work well enough. Isn't that what we'd like for a 1.0?

Alex
--
Orbeon Forms - Web 2.0 Forms, open-source, for the Enterprise
http://www.orbeon.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernet View Post
But still, we need a way to take with us on the road all the content we have in OF. Printing is one way. But what if OF was able to save this data in PNG files? Say with one PNG file per perspective. Then you could setup OF to save those images to your iPhoto folder and have those automatically synchronized on your iPhone every time you plug it in.
I am hoping for a lot more in the way of print options in 1.0.

Right now, though, you could print your perspective as a .pdf, then use Preview to convert it to a .png. It is a long way around, and the .pdf gets cut off on the right margin for me (I haven't tried playing with column sizes to fix that, but I assume that I can), but it might work for now.

Interesting idea, but not a very elegant solution.

I proposed a solution earlier today. Safari has a little known feature that allows entire page contents, including images and stylesheets, to be encapsulated in a base-64 encoded URL. It's not two-way like the web interface, but it's fast, works offline, and scales long lists better than rendering a png and syncing via iPhoto.

That some of the rumor sites are correct and that Apple will soon be offering 3rd Party access to the iPhone? If so, could Omni be one a the companies that soon may be offering such a 3rd party app?

In that case, it would make a lot of sense for Omni to drop the web based app and focus on the real 3rd party solution that everyone is begging for.

This could all be wishful thinking of course. In any case, according to the rumor sites, we will know before the end of the month, maybe next week, maybe on the 26th.

Yes, I do believe in the tooth fairy. Why do you ask?;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansays View Post

I proposed a solution earlier today. Safari has a little known feature that allows entire page contents, including images and stylesheets, to be encapsulated in a base-64 encoded URL. It's not two-way like the web interface, but it's fast, works offline, and scales long lists better than rendering a png and syncing via iPhoto.
I saw your post about the Data URL bookmarks and downloaded FilemarkMaker.app to give it a try. You are right. That is a lot more elegant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansays View Post

I just discovered the "data:" scheme yesterday as I was trying to store PDF on the iPhone for off-line viewing. Pretty neat. And indeed this would be better than images, and I am sure that it would reasonably simple to implement.

Namely: one PDF per perspective stored using the "data:" scheme in the Safari bookmarks in an OF folder.

Could this be even be implemented outside of OF with AppleScript?

Alex

I have been working on a solution similar to what you describe.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5003

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I have been working on a solution similar to what you describe.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=5003
Thanks for the link. I will give it a try.

Alex