The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shift Project forward 1 year? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to ask the same question that was asked here:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...ht=change+date

Maybe someone from that thread can follow up.

I have a years worth of lesson plans mapped out in OmniPlan and would like to shift them forward to use again for the next year.

After duplicating the file I can only seem to change the start date of individual tasks not the entire plan. I can change the start date of groups but the group bracket moves and excludes the tasks within it - giving warnings for each.

I have hundreds of tasks and tens of groups I would like to change the date to approx. 1 year into the future. Any way to do this as a batch?

I have this same question. Is there no way to time-shift a project from one time-period to the next?

Right now, our project is set up with specific dates in mind. If we re-compute it to calculate forward from a date, would that be better?

Same question here... Any answer?

Things like start constraints/locked start dates are considered part of the hard-scape of the project. That is, OmniPlan is not allowed to change them in scheduling. It kind of sounds like you are manually scheduling tasks by means like this, rather than giving OmniPlan the ability to help you out.

Where possible, use constraints only when you really mean to hard code that specific date. If your objective is to make the tasks sequential, you can accomplish that via dependencies. If you really need to specifically place each task on a specific date, you'll need to enter those dates manually. OmniPlan could automatically do it, but that would really be at direct odds with the instructions you've given it.

That said, you might get somewhere by just setting the start date of your project, then doing something like this:

Code:
tell application "OmniPlan"
	tell front document
		repeat with constrainedTask in every task
			set constraintDate to start after date of constrainedTask
			if constraintDate is not missing value then
				set year of constraintDate to (year of constraintDate) + 1
				set start after date of constrainedTask to constraintDate
			end if
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell
It won't be clever about weekends, so the result may need some fine-tuning.

-Tom