The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How to Sort by Due Date? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A work around for me on sorting by due date is to use the Forecast mode. Select Forecast and then Future. This will list and sort any actions with due dates and display them by month.

Seriously... I thought I was doing something wrong... does that mean that in a project view selecting "Sorting" and select "Due Date" does not sort by due date...? That's kind of... weird...

This is a thread about OmniFocus for iPad, which doesn't offer sorting controls in project view.

If you are puzzled by the behavior of OmniFocus for Mac, the key concept to grasp is that the sorting and grouping in project view is done on a per-project basis, not a per-action basis. When you ask project view to sort by due date, it sorts the display to show you the projects ordered by (project) due date, but the order of the actions within those projects is unchanged. If you want to see a list of individual actions sorted by due date, use context view sorted by due date. It is also worth noting that the view bar sorting only sorts the display order, not the actual ordering of the actions in the projects. If you want to rearrange the actions, select them and use Edit->Sort.

I realize this is a long-since dead thread, but I'm reviving it.

I just purchased OmniFocus for iPad, and while so far I'm a fan - sorting action items within Context view by date (or by anything, for that matter) - seems a very basic, fundamental functionality.

I'm not interested in workarounds that "sort of" do this (very very basic) function. There are a number of task management ipad apps - if you pay 40 bucks, it's a reasonable expectation you are getting the best of the bunch.

Please address.

Thank you.

Brad, I've attached you to the feature request we have open on this in our development database so the rest of the team will know you'd like to see this added.

In case it helps: we generally organize our development work around delivering the most popular requests first.

The items at the top of that list currently have two-point-something times as many customers attached, but adding you to the request will help it move up that list. If other folks ask for it here or via email that'll also help.

(After I post this, I'll go back through the thread and make sure that any posters that aren't already in the database get added.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Brad, I've attached you to the feature request we have open on this in our development database so the rest of the team will know you'd like to see this added.

In case it helps: we generally organize our development work around delivering the most popular requests first.

The items at the top of that list currently have two-point-something times as many customers attached, but adding you to the request will help it move up that list. If other folks ask for it here or via email that'll also help.

(After I post this, I'll go back through the thread and make sure that any posters that aren't already in the database get added.)
I am new to the ipad app and am also really shocked that I can't see my actions in order of due date. Right now I'm specifically doing my weekly review and would like to review my items in the order they need to be done. Maybe I'm too new to the program to understand this right, but if I need to review the week ahead, how do I do that if I can't see things in order? I have to manually sort them by date each time?

I'm disappointed there isn't an option for sorting contexts by due date as is the case on the iPhone (and Mac).

When Omni tried removing this sort functionality from the iPhone version a couple years back, they received a lot of noise from users and the functionality was restored shortly after. I guess I figured they would have patched the iPad version too.

As a new iPad user, I'm absolutely baffled why the same sorting capability is not offered for the iPad. After all, why would Omni want to have inconsistent feature sets across apps for something as fundamental as task sorting? For me, the current iPad sorting functionality within contexts is distracting and makes figuring out next actions more difficult.

I appreciate Brian's comments above (although they come off as a bit condescending). I guess I just don't understand why it would be such a big deal to provide a solution for the iPad since a working solution already exists for the iPhone. What am I missing?

I am shocked too ! It makes the context view useless !

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorati View Post
I am new to the ipad app and am also really shocked that I can't see my actions in order of due date. Right now I'm specifically doing my weekly review and would like to review my items in the order they need to be done. Maybe I'm too new to the program to understand this right, but if I need to review the week ahead, how do I do that if I can't see things in order? I have to manually sort them by date each time?

By the way, it is clearly a bug. Check page 31 of the pdf manual for OF iPad, sorting funtion is there! I am shocked again nobody from omnigroup want to fix it i the last 2.5 years !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinx View Post
I am shocked too ! It makes the context view useless !