The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus on Multiple Computers [USB, iDisk, .Mac, Syncing] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Xmas,
Quote:
On one of your machines, open up OmniFocus' "General" preferences pane and use the "Move" button to get your database on your iDisk.

On your other machines, open up those same preferences and use the "Select a Different Database" button to select your database on your iDisk.
I had set up my OF data on my USB thumb drive to allow access on 2 machines (main desktop & laptop) and things have worked fine, but I would prefer not to use the thumb drive. Having now seen this doc on using my idisk/.mac account, I tried to set it up. Each time I attempt it OF begins the process of saving a backup, cleaning up, then moving my file to my idisk. OF then quits responding and I have to do a force quit. What specif files should I send to you for de-bugging/solving?

Regards,
Shane

Last edited by Shane; 2008-01-12 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: missed quote of original post

When you refer to .Mac syncing not being reliable, does this include storing the OF database on one's iDisk and turning iDisk Sync on, on both computers?

Last edited by elgy; 2008-01-13 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: clarification

I've got a small external hard drive I'm going to be using to take stuff between home and work. I'm guessing that will work in the same way as a USB right?

Clark

elgy: If I recall correctly, the problem with the iDisk was with the automagic syncing it does. If it decides to sync while Focus is saving, your data may get scrambled.

clarkito: an external hard drive would work the same as a usb thumb drive.

elgy: If I recall correctly, the problem with the iDisk was with the automagic syncing it does. If it decides to sync while Focus is saving, your data may get scrambled.

clarkito: an external hard drive would work the same as a usb thumb drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkito View Post
I've got a small external hard drive I'm going to be using to take stuff between home and work. I'm guessing that will work in the same way as a USB right?

Clark
Yep. It should.

Ken, I've got access to a shared server I can copy the files to, so this sounds like a reasonable approach for me.

Will it hurt if I have two omnifocus's running on two machines? will the
items merge when I copy?

Can you post an example rsync script? Of course they would be unsupported, disclaimed, etc.

Thanks!

Right. That's probably what's been happening. Thanks!

I really need to have OF sink automatically between my computers without the use of a pen drive. Do you have an approximate timeframe when the version that incorporates this feature will be released? It is surprising that this wasn't included in version 1.0. thanks

Demiurge - we don't like to make predictions/announce dates until we're certain we can back them up. Once the code's written, we'll have more to say. ;-)

As for why it's not in 1.0: OS 10.5 includes a couple features that will make this somewhat simpler to implement; since Kinkless ran on 10.4, we thought it would be rude to shut folks running that version of the OS out of the application. This means no features that require 10.5 in version 1.

(Additionally, while this feature is important to some of our users, it's not going to be useful to everyone. Delaying OmniFocus for feature X helps the folks that use it, but hurts everyone else. Sometimes an imperfect solution that ships sooner is still the better choice.)