The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Canvases keep re-sizing themselves Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is a strange one and happens quite consistently. It seems to have something to do with the template I'm using, but I can't figure out what.

All the canvases in my document are set to the exact same size. When I open up the document, they all become two pages tall. Then as I click through each thumbnail they reset themselves back to one page tall. So if I just open up a document and print, the total number of pages in the footer is twice the actual number. I have to remember to go and click through each thumbnail before printing or I end up with an incorrect number of total pages. It does not print a blank page for each real page, though, so I don't quite know what's happening.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the thumbnail panel, where I've clicked on some thumbnails so they're the correct size, for example the top 4; and the some are two pages tall (for example #5 and 6)

Anyone else experience this?

Screenshot attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-07-06 at 10.35.29 AM.png
Views:	679
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	2448  

May be worth experimenting with the three checkbox options on the Inspectors > Canvas > Size dialog.

Thanks! I unchecked the second one "Auto-adjust the canvas size" and it seems to have done the trick. However I noticed that after doing that the footer got cut off at the bottom, and I had to nudge it up quite a bit. It was printing fine earlier. The auto-adjust setting seems a bit mysterious to me. I think it somehow accommodates items that are just on the edge, but then gets confused while displaying the thumbnails.

When I started using Omnigraffle I had a HUGE problem with this. I couldn't figure out why OG kept adding more canvas area to some canvases and not others. It was a real drag, because it was never consistent.

Even after I had screwed around with the Size and Grid inspectors. Here's what I figured out the hard way

- Uncheck everything in the Canvas: Size Inspector. For those printing 8.5x11, use the default canase size (8 x 10 13/72)

- Have no objects positioned beyond the canvas edge.

- Objects that were beyond the canvas edge and were grouped, need to be ungrouped and moved individually out of the edge.

- Make sure no text boxes are stretching past the edges

As it turns out, I had a bunch of objects that started out being outside the canvas edge when I grouped them, and I was repositioning them while they were still grouped. Even though technically the grouped objects weren't on the edge, OG still treated it as if there was because the group container was still there.

Thanks - that makes sense!

One last tip -- trying to fix a file that's shifting may be too hard. Better to start over and rebuild a fresh new doc, slowly accurately and then using it as a starting point for all future documents.