The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can you set page-zoom percent globally? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Sometimes I want to go through all my canvases to see flows, but they are all at various settings of zoom. Is there a way to set the zoom globally?

Cheers

Rob

I'd like this too. As a special option, though -- most of the time, it's useful that OG remembers the zoom level on each canvas.

We do have an existing feature request for this, it seems to me that it would be possible to select multiple canvases in the sidebar and have the zoom setting affect all of them, does that sound like a good solution?

That sounds like a very elegant solution, Joel. My first guess was to have a new submenu group in the Zoom menu, so you'd have:
View: Zoom: All canvases: Zoom to Actual Size / Fit in Window

But I think I prefer your solution.

I'm not sure it'd make sense for all Zoom operations to affect multiple selected canvases. What would "Zoom in" do? Zoom them all in from their current setting, or zoom them all to the level of the currently-viewed canvas? Ditto for Zoom to Selection.

I was initially thinking that only the Zoom popup would work in this case, however that's a good point -- Using the Zoom Tool or View Menu should have some sort of impact on a multiple canvas selection, or I dunno, maybe it shouldn't.

Will have to chat up the UI team about this as a sanity check.

While you are discussing adding the "set all/set selected canvases to same zoom" feature with the UI team, can you give us an applescript to accomplish it?

I'm not an applescripter, but looking into the Omnigrafle dictionary with the script editor, it appears that the zoom level is a factor of the window, not the canvas. This is confusing to me.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I was initially thinking that only the Zoom popup would work in this case, however that's a good point -- Using the Zoom Tool or View Menu should have some sort of impact on a multiple canvas selection, or I dunno, maybe it shouldn't.

Will have to chat up the UI team about this as a sanity check.
I would very much like this feature.

While selecting all of the Canvases to set a Zoom level feels elegant, and direct, I wonder if it might not be terribly obvious to all users, esp. given that the Zoom pop-up control is on the opposite side of the window..?

Using the Zoom Menu items helps, in that it's the 'global' location, but is still distant from the Canvas thumbnails, so still could be missed.

Perhaps one way to make this feature slightly more evident to some users could be to add Canvas Zoom options to the Thumbnail Contextual Menu (i.e. when I Ctrl/Right-Click on the Canvas Thumbnails?

That way the control is directly related to the Canvas representations, and while not ideal (in that they're initially invisible, Contextual Menus are widely used, esp. by users with Windows experience.)