The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help For GIF Images Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi There:

I'm Designing a small a web site. First I decided to use Omnigraffle to create all the images. I need to generate a GIF images with transparency like PNG images.

Is there anything hint to get a GIF images with transparency from Omnigraffle?

Or i have to change to another Software.

thanks a lot

The Gif image format can't do transparency, full stop. You will have to use PNG for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
The Gif image format can't do transparency, full stop. You will have to use PNG for that.
That's odd, 'cos Graphic Converter has a transparency tool, which I seem to remember I used only last year on some GIFs and a PNG--it's possible I did it through Photoshop/ImageReady. Whichever ... opening the GIFs in the latest version of GC brings up an alert with words to the effect that "This GIF has transparency defined. The transparent areas will be displayed in grey. You can disable the transparency by double-clicking in them with the transparency tool." The PNG in question was produced in OG; the GIFs were based on screenshots.

Whether they work with transparency if imported into OG or not, I don't know; I do know that when viewed on the final web-page using Internet Explorer under Chinese Windows (People here don't realise there is any alternative!) the PNG comes out with a grey rather than a transparent background!

So the answer seems to be, you need to export your GIF, change software to Graphic Converter, ImageReady or similar and do the transparency in that.

Mark

Last edited by xiamenese; 2006-05-03 at 02:03 AM..

The transparency in GIFs is not like that of PNG(24)s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gif

GIFs only allow for a pixel to be clear or opaque. PNGs offer alpha channel transparency, which means they can offer a range of transparency. So if one "need[s] to generate a GIF images with transparency like PNG images" they can't do it.