The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What does "Sync with: Disk" mean? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm still waiting for the iPhone update to hopefully resolve the cPanel WebDAV issues(s), so I decided to look at other options (besides MobileMe). In Preferences > Sync, there is an option to "Sync with: Disk". Would that work with an iPhone, or do I need to set up and use (local) WebDAV? I've just run through the WebDAV set up based on the link off the sticky, so I can try it, but wanted to find out what the "Disk" option is first.

In Preferences > Sync, when I click the help button, I either get an untitled window, or get an OS X generic help page. I didn't see any reference to sync with disc in either of the stickies in this sub-forum.

While I'm at it, if I do use (local) WebDAV, can I use 127.0.0.1 as the web server? I'm getting DHCP from a router, and the IP of my machine can change. Thanks.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob View Post
In Preferences > Sync, there is an option to "Sync with: Disk". Would that work with an iPhone, or do I need to set up and use (local) WebDAV? I've just run through the WebDAV set up based on the link off the sticky, so I can try it, but wanted to find out what the "Disk" option is first.
No, this doesn't help with the iPhone (and is unavailable on the iPhone). Syncing with a disk is useful for instance when you're using a USB thumb drive to move data between machines, or when you have multiple machines that are mounting the same network drive. The iPhone has no way of connecting other drives (local or network) and thus can't take advantage of this.

Quote:
In Preferences > Sync, when I click the help button, I either get an untitled window, or get an OS X generic help page. I didn't see any reference to sync with disc in either of the stickies in this sub-forum.
I'm seeing the same problem. I sent feedback to the support team, so this will get written up and tracked as an issue if it's not already being tracked. Apologies for that.

Quote:
While I'm at it, if I do use (local) WebDAV, can I use 127.0.0.1 as the web server? I'm getting DHCP from a router, and the IP of my machine can change. Thanks.
I haven't tried it, but I would be very surprised if that didn't work. However, my recommended practice would be to use the .local address (which can be found at the top of the Sharing pane in System Preferences, right below the Computer Name field - it's generally some form of "computer-name.local").

-andrew