The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problem with running script for fixing no root Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
If you do turn on MobileMe's disk synchronization, access to files on your iDisk is not done directly, but via a disk image which is synchronized hourly (or manually). The suspicion seems to be that the disk image synchronization occasionally writes old or otherwise incorrect data into the OmniFocus.ofocus file on the server, which is always accessed directly by OmniFocus via WebDAV, regardless of whether MobileMe's disk synchronization is enabled.
That's a good explanation.

So the situation is... the OF file is stored on a disk image on my local computer. OF syncs through WebDAV, so now the information on mobile me is newer. iDisk performs it's sync, and syncs old data from the iDisk volume to mobile me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
I deleted my OF file on mobile me and re-synced my file to mobile me and am still getting the errors. I'm assuming if the script works on iDisk, then I could just point the script to my OmniFocus file on my computer and the script would work it's magic.
Yes, this is the key. Wherever your ofocus file is, the script needs access to it, so it either needs to be on your computer, or your iDisk needs to be mounted. In either case, make the change in that line in the script to point to your ofocus file.

Once the script fixes the file you can then try to put it back on iDisk and sync to it.

I changed the path to my OmniFocus document. However, I'm getting an error in the script:

When run from the terminal this is the result:
This database already has just one root transaction

If I run from TextWrangler I see this error:
/Users/<myusername>/Desktop/FixDuplicateRootTransactions2; Line 38: Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean View Post
I changed the path to my OmniFocus document. However, I'm getting an error in the script:

When run from the terminal this is the result:
This database already has just one root transaction

If I run from TextWrangler I see this error:
/Users/<myusername>/Desktop/FixDuplicateRootTransactions2; Line 38: Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string
If its saying your database has one root transaction, then you should be ok. Are you sure the file you're fixing is the one OF is reading from?

I don't know about TextWrangler's error. Mine looked ok in BBEdit.

Sorry for the confusion here - I think Lizard misunderstood the error message you're getting. "Ignoring tail which cannot reach a root" is a different error than the one that the repair database script is meant to fix.

The script is giving you that message when it runs because your database isn't broken in the manner it expects, so it can't do anything.

The console messages you're getting are indeed caused by some files leftover from some long-fixed bugs from the beta. The files they're referring to are harmless to your data, but if they annoy you or you want to get your disk space back, the solution is to use
File -> Back Up Database...
and then use
File -> Revert to Database Backup...
choosing to revert to the backup you just made. That eliminates the disconnected transaction files from your database.

The sync problems are probably unrelated to the above, so I'll respond directly to the email you sent in so we can get that sorted out.

Ken just pointed out that disconnected transactions can be created in situations other than the bugs from the beta. Example: a laptop goes to sleep while we're in the process of cleaning up after a newly-coalesced database.

Quote:
To make sure there's no opportunity for data loss, we write out the new root transaction, then clean up by removing the transactions it replaced.

We never make any attempt to clean up orphaned transactions at the moment, though I think it would be reasonable to start automatically cleaning them up after a week or two.
He also pointed out that another way to remove them from the database would be to run the 'smooshing' script posted here.

The original problem discussed in this thread is obsolete: OmniFocus 1.5 GM can repair the "no root" issue without the help of a separate script.

The later posts about improving sync performance have been moved into the Improving sync performance thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
The original problem discussed in this thread is obsolete: OmniFocus 1.5 GM can repair the "no root" issue without the help of a separate script.

The later posts about improving sync performance have been moved into the Improving sync performance thread.
Got it! Humble thanks. I saw Brian's informative response... in the correct thread ;)