The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Custom Perspectives Just Disappeared Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've emailed the Ninjii, and I'll let you know, but this just happened with no upgrade, and no changes. Yesterday they were there, and today they are not.

This is a Mac, iPhone, and iPad all syncing their native apps to a Webdav server.

Carey

Worth checking that it is not simply a sidebar filter setting:
View > Sidebar Filter > All Contexts

Strange. Any possibility one of the devices displayed a message about not being able to sync recently?

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Worth checking that it is not simply a sidebar filter setting:
View > Sidebar Filter > All Contexts
Perspectives Inspector shows only the defaults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
Strange. Any possibility one of the devices displayed a message about not being able to sync recently?
I suppose it's possible, but not that I noticed.

Ugh. If you open one of your old backup databases, do they load perspectives?

Curt

This sounds like a somewhat rare bug which we've fixed for OmniFocus 1.8, which I recognize doesn't do you any good now—but hopefully it will do you some good once you've upgraded to 1.8 (which we're planning to ship tomorrow).

Our support ninjas can help you recover your lost perspectives by email or telephone (800-315-6664), or you can try to work through recovering them on your own by following my notes below…

The good news is your perspectives should be in your backups, as Curt suggests above. Unfortunately, OmniFocus only displays perspectives from the active database, so opening an older backup won't show you any of its perspectives. So what you'll need to do is to back up your current database, restore an older backup, save out your perspectives, restore your current backup, and load your perspectives.

First, make sure you have a current backup using File->Back Up Database.

Next, find your old backups (usually saved in Documents/OmniFocus Backups, though you can choose another location in General Preferences) and start looking for your missing perspectives by loading old backups with File->Revert to Database Backup. You can look at the contents of the Perspectives window to see whether you've found a backup with the missing perspectives.

Once you find your missing perspectives, you can use the latest sneaky peek build of OmniFocus 1.8 to save your perspectives: in 1.8, you can save a perspective by dragging it from the Perspectives window to your desktop (or an email message or anything else which accepts a file drag).

Once you've saved the perspectives, you can restore your current backup, then add the saved perspectives back to your database by opening each of those perspective files you saved earlier.

Hope this helps, and sorry for the bug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Hope this helps, and sorry for the bug!
Hi Ken!

This is a programmer's error and not a bug. :)

Hope ghost window in Expose, random reset of the sidebar to default width were also fixed? These two are essential on every system (I myself had them in 100% cases on three different Macs, fully updated).

Regards

Last edited by makesense; 2010-09-08 at 11:59 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by makesense View Post
This is a programmer's error and not a bug. :)
With a respectful nod to Dijkstra, I'll have to agree! I'm glad we've now shipped a correction for that particular error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
With a respectful nod to Dijkstra, I'll have to agree! I'm glad we've now shipped a correction for that particular error.
Programmers are people. And making mistakes is an essential part of human's life. No offence.

As they say when a pilot or a doctor makes a mistake you know about it, but if a programmer makes mistake - oups, it's a bug. :)

It's fine when the 'bug' which is under control of a programmer results just in unexpectedly quit, but if it results in a data loss - ughhh.