The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Firewall "Stealth Mode" and dot-local address Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
So, it seems that OW deals with IPv6 now.

Well, not that I know earlier versions had a problem with IPv6, but...

After switching to the sp (starting at 7), I noticed that I had problems using machine.local to access my local development environment. I tracked it down to having "Stealth Mode" enabled. Disable that and sp7 is back to being able to access machine.local as before. (Or leave it enabled and use localhost or a FQDN.)

WebKit and the shipping Safari both had the same problem, but Firefox and the earlier OW didn't. My understanding is that the problem has to do with how the stealth mode interprets local IPv6 addresses in OS X, apparently rejecting them when it should pass them through. I gather that Firefox and the earlier OW use an approach for these that skirts around the issue (perhaps preferring the IPv4 equivalent or to 127.0.0.1 or localhost internally), but Safari and WebKit expose the issue directly.