The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Turn layers on/off across all canvases Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What I would like is to have a "Notes" layer on every canvas. And then to be able to show or hide that layer instantly across the entire document (e.g. to hide it when exporting as an interactive prototype, or show it for printing.)

From what I can tell (I'm using OG 4.2.3) this is impossible. I can only control layer visibility per canvas.

Can anyone help?

It's not possible to do this in OmniGraffle 4, however in OmniGraffle Professional 5 you could use a shared layer for this purpose -- Turning off its visibility turns it off everywhere.

Thanks for the reply, Joel. I did look into the "Shared Layer" feature, but it didn't sound like it'll suit my purpose. My understanding of it is that the elements on a Shared Layer are present on all canvases that use that layer. If I want to have a Notes layer on every canvas, clearly each such layer would be different.

Or am I mistaken?

No, you're correct -- If you want different notes on different layers, then a shared layer isn't going to be the solution for you.

It's possible that an involved AppleScript might work in this situation, however I have not the mettle to figure out how to script it up.