The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How can I make the Name column narrower in project view? [SOLVED: See thread] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Dang it, Brian, I knew I should have insisted on a wager :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf View Post
However, I have another Perspective where the name column can't be made narrower than about 63 characters. This is too wide.
Is that perspective in Project mode? Have you tried selecting different types of rows (inbox items, projects, individual actions)? Some columns (such as Project) are only visible when certain rows are selected; if your sometimes-visible Project column is too wide, it would make the Name column wider on rows which don't display the Project column.

Does that help?

That could be it ... my Little List is in Context mode, and the Active Project list with the overly wide column is in project mode.

And I checked another Project mode perspective and the Name column is also wide. Maybe Brian did win that bet.

That still leaves me with a Perspective that I wish had a narrower Name column ... I want a listing of all my currently active projects, listed by project, that is small enough to leave open all the time:
- I have a 15" PowerBook, and screen real estate is valuable. I hate the "windows upon windows" look.
- but I also need to see the window in order to remember that I have work I need to do. If the window is closed, or hidden, I forget I have it. [Yes, I have alarms that open morning and afternoon checklists, but that isn't enough for me.]

So, is there anything I can do to force a narrower Name column?

Thanks!

--Liz

Liz, the simplest way to make the column narrower is probably to do the following:

In the project-mode perspective you want to shrink, click on an item from the inbox; this will show the Projects column. Click and drag on the Projects header to make that column narrower.

Even if a row doesn't show the Projects column, we reserve space for it; otherwise, the columns to the right of that one would have to move around when you selected a row that did.

Ken's theory is that the combined width of the Name and Project column is causing what you're seeing.

Thanks, Brian, that did the trick!

I knew there was a solution, I just couldn't figure out what it was. I rarely use the Inbox (as I usually know what Project and Context a task goes to), so I didn't think about there being a hidden Project column.

--Liz