The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

what is the big deal? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm looking forward to a shiny new OF as much as the next 10k users (maybe a little bit more than most) but for all the excitement, will it have any impact on the way I use the product? I already have a Review by Due Perspective and still sometimes use that instead of the iPad for reviews. Cloud sync and Siri integration had major impacts on my workflow. Big changes might come from tags or OP integration. The bottom line: why should I pay money for this new version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb View Post
I'm looking forward to a shiny new OF as much as the next 10k users (maybe a little bit more than most) but for all the excitement, will it have any impact on the way I use the product? I already have a Review by Due Perspective and still sometimes use that instead of the iPad for reviews. Cloud sync and Siri integration had major impacts on my workflow. Big changes might come from tags or OP integration. The bottom line: why should I pay money for this new version?
You don't have to, if you don't want to.

This is a big deal for those who found OmniFocus difficult to use. It almost required a black belt to use OmniFocus.

I remember visiting Things whenever a new version comes out just to see what a streamlined OmniFocus should look like.

Creating perspectives and customizing the toolbar is a cumbersome workflow in OF1. This looks like it has changed in OF2 after looking at the screenshots. It looks like it adopts some of the UI from Things with the left-side window pane.

The introduction of OmniPresence will be a boon for folks who don't want their OF data residing on someone else's server.

The weekly review and forecast view will be a great addition for folks who don't have or want the iPad or iPhone versions.

OF Standard or Pro might just be the tickler to entice Things user who have been frustrated by Cultured Code. I was excited to hear that the iGTD developer had joined Cultured Code but haven't heard anything revolutionary in the Things world to celebrate anything new about Things.

The new version of OF lowers friction with a redesigned interface. This is a good thing.

I was excited to hear that the iGTD developer had joined Cultured Code but haven't heard anything revolutionary in the Things world to celebrate anything new about Things.

Actually, the next version of Things is in Beta right now. Given the beating they took over getting cloud sync done (which btw is excellent) I think don't they will say anything until they have something new to release.

Things 2.0 wasn't the next big thing? Well, I'm glad to hear that. It's good to see the various programs getting into the action to give us the widest range of choices.

So the new release is called Things 2.5? I don't visit the Cultured Code web site until one of the Mac news sites talks about a new version of Things. I didn't see any hint of news about a new Things beta using Google search.

I can see the allure of Things' approach. But I've become ingrained in OF1. OF2 sounds like it will bring some competition at the consumer level of Things as well as providing more power at the Pro level.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2013-02-12 at 03:15 AM..

One of the benefits of the approach we're taking with the 2.0 release is that we're not breaking sync compatibility with version 1 or the iOS apps. If the redesigned interface by itself doesn't seem like something you're interested in, you're not penalized in any way if you choose not to upgrade.

Once we have the Mac app at parity (in terms of ease-of-use) with the other apps, we've got a strong foundation to build on in later 2.x releases. Without getting into specifics, looking at the changes and features we released at no charge between OmniFocus v1.0 and v1.10.4 should hopefully speak well for our ability to deliver value over time. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
..looking at the changes and features we released at no charge between OmniFocus v1.0 and v1.10.4 should hopefully speak well for our ability to deliver value over time. :-)
Of that I have no doubt. And I do want to upgrade (and am on the beta list) but I just wanted to bring some focus to the discussion about the new version.
As wilsonng said, it's better for new users and it's cheaper for new users who don't want to customize. Brian reminds us that new new version doesn't break what current users already have. The big deal is the future!

I feel that there will be no collaborative feature in OF2.
The sooooo simple Reminders made by Apple is able to do it simply just by sharing with an email address and manage a project to be accessible by other.

I leave OF for Apple Reminder (simple and collaborative) and Asana (cloud, collaborative but so slow).
I wait a lot of time (I am an early early user of Omnigroup software).

But if there is no collaborative system, I strongly think that OF will loose users after the success he had before.
OF is a pro tools not a teddy bear software....
I really not understand you can leave a simple software like Reminders be more efficient than OF on so important feature.
With OmniServer you have all in hands to do something cool and pro...

I don't care you not receive votation for that feature... I feel a so huge deception...
even if I am sure that the new interface is nicer... For me Omnigroup quality should be over everything else... but if you miss that part, you are no more "in". OF is impossible to implement in small team business for that... witch I am sure is one of the main public you have.

OmniFocus has never been sold as a collaborative tool, only as a tool for individuals.

It's great that Reminders allows you to share tasks, but it falls down on just about every other feature on the OmniFocus feature list.

Judging from the traffic we see on the forums, businesses trying to use OmniFocus make up a very small part of the customer base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
The introduction of OmniPresence will be a boon for folks who don't want their OF data residing on someone else's server.
Just to clarify this one point: OmniFocus has always been able to sync to almost any standards-compliant WebDAV server. Or it can sync via Bonjour if you don't want to run your own server.

OmniPresence is not for OmniFocus. OmniPresence is a technology that allows document-based apps to sync to a WebDAV server (either Omni Sync Server or your own). We hope OmniPresence will make it as easy to sync OmniOutliner, OmniGraffle, and OmniGraphSketcher documents as it is to sync OmniFocus data.