The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tab rendering issues in sp1 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I realise the first is a known issue in the release notes - that tabs don't always display the contents until you click them to update them, but I thought you might like to know that MacNN forums (very) often exhibit this problem, so if you are looking for a good test case for fixing it:

Another issue that isn't listed (afaict) is that some sites display oddly in tabs:

e.g. www.railheaddesign.com:

e.g your very own OmniWeb tab where the omni badge is floating about a third of the way up the tab from the bottom (as indicated and which I am guessing is similar to the RH Design issue as the blank area at the bottom of that tab appears to be the same as that in the OmniWeb tab):

Thanks for the test pages! We believe we've fixed this for sp2 (simultaneously fixing the crashes in updating the tab thumbnail).

It's not clear to me what is being saved for the tabs. My default workspace doesn't save its windows. I thought I had a snapshot where all the groups I read were at their front pages without me logged in. But it seems that when OW5.5sp1 launches, the page that is fetched is some recent one from the last time I was viewing rather than the one from the snapshot. It's not even the last page I was viewing. I usually log off any forums I'm reading, but on launch, I get a place in the middle of reading. This morning, instead of my home page, I saw the picture of my house that I looked at sometime yesterday. It's almost as if the reference to the cache for the tab just looks for some page that has the right domain name.

I love using tabs, but this bizarre behavior really annoys me because I rely on them to just work. I hope it's fixed in sp2.

I think it's a known issue in the release notes:

• Omniweb might not be saving everything in the workspace when you quit.
• Pages can load in the wrong workspace when switching between multiple workspaces
• When restoring a workspace, we now validate the current page if it's at the end of the tab's history. (Pages in history are still loaded from cache always, and the final page in history is loaded from cache if it wasn't visible when loading the workspace.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I think it's a known issue in the release notes:
Yes, but I'm being a squeaky wheel. It's become even more annoying in the weeks of using the sneaky peek. When I first complained when sp1 came out, it was about tabs not being updated on launch. I didn't realize how bothersome it would be with forums and getting a random page from the cache. It doesn't seem to be the final page in the cache history (yes, I realize that the release notes don't say it will be).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethkatz17582
I'm being a squeaky wheel. ... I didn't realize how bothersome it would be with forums ....
Since stale tab content is my biggest complaint about 5.5sp1, I'll squeak again, too. For the forum record, here are my comments from March 16:

When I first encountered OmniWeb 5.5's speed in displaying a saved workspace, I was thrilled. The thrill is fading because of workspaces that behaved better with OW 5.1.3.

When the page content in a saved workspace has not changed, displaying a snapshot (OW 5.5) is refreshingly faster than reloading each page (OW 5.1.3).

However, when the pages a saved workspace are very volatile (e.g., news summary, user forum index, blog), there's always the nagging question, "Am I seeing the current content?" The only way to answer the question is to manually reload each page.

Since neither the snapshot or reload behavior is right for all workspaces, I suggest it would nice to give the user two options:

1. Global Preference for workspace restore: snapshot or reload

2. Per-workspace option to override the global preference

Since I was content with the slow-but-predictable workspace reload in OW 5.1.3, I'd choose that as my global preference and use the snapshot approach for workspaces with static content.

-- Ward

As I just mentioned in another thread, please let us know where you're seeing stale tab content: you shouldn't be unless you've set our new hidden WorkspacesLoadFromCache preference.

(I do agree that it would be nice to give the user a per-workspace option for this, not just a hidden global preference.)