The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Other people's deadlines Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am an attorney and do a fair amount of appellate work. I am going to be switching to OmniFocus in the next week, but have a question on how to track opposing counsel's deadlines. If my brief is due 11/5, then I just create an action to serve as my deadline reminder, with several tasks for actually researching, writing, editing, etc., the brief. But then if the other side's brief is due 12/15, how do you suggest tracking it? It is not something I have to do, but I need to stay on top as it as its completion will trigger my needing to reply within some number of days? I hope that's clear.

Thanks,

Andy

You could put in an action for the other side filing their brief, with a due date showing the latest date they can file. Action title might be something like:

Waiting for: Opposition brief in Bush v. Gore @due 12/9/00

The tricky part is that you would probably like to have some follow-up actions whose dates would depend on when that brief was filed, and OmniFocus unfortunately doesn't provide an automatic solution there. Your next action would have to be something that alerts you to put in appropriate due dates for your actions in response to the brief being filed.

OmniFocus does let you specify date expressions like +2d (two days), +3w (three weeks), etc. but it is counting calendar days, not court days (no big surprise there) and it immediately calculates the effective date and stores that, not the expression.

To make a feature request, use the Help->Send Feedback feature in the application.