The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

filter content by pop up list phrase Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I would appreciate some advice on how to filter the content in my omnioutliner view by rows which contain a specific pop up list value on one of my columns.

In a previous post there is a reference that this feature is in the tool bar, I've checked the toolbar preferences, however, can not see this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnosimon View Post
... how to filter the content in my omnioutliner view by rows which contain a specific pop up list value on one of my columns.
Not directly possible in the current version - see the FAQ at

http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnioutliner/support/

(though you could use applescript to generate a filtered copy of an existing document)

Quote:
In a previous post there is a reference that this feature is in the tool bar, I've checked the toolbar preferences, however, can not see this feature.
I wonder if this was a reference to OmniFocus ?

--

Thanks for the quick response

Quote:
Thanks for the quick response
Using applescript to create a duplicate document, containing only the rows which match some criterion, is fairly straightforward. The key code might look something like this:

Code:
tell application id "com.omnigroup.OmniOutlinerPro3"
	-- get a reference to the selected document 
	set docFront to front document

-- filter the rows using a WHERE statement
	-- e.g. Check box
	--    set refRows to a reference to (every row of docFront where state is checked)
	-- OR main text of row
	--    set refRows to a reference to (every row of docFront where topic contains "action")
	-- OR a text column
	--    set refRows to a reference to (every row of docFront where text of cell 3 contains "action")
	-- OR the value of a pop-up box
	--    (Cell 1 is the check-box, Cell 2 is the topic, Cell 3 the 1st user-defined column ...)
	set refRows to a reference to (every row of docFront where value of cell 3 is "Joe")

-- duplicate the filtered rows to a new blank document
	set docFiltered to make new document with properties {name:"FILTERED"}
	duplicate refRows to the end of the children of docFiltered
end tell
--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-04-11 at 09:26 PM..