The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus 1.8 sneaky peeks are now available Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Quote:
Originally Posted by macula View Post
I very much hope the Omni crew will listen to our plea, which after all seems to enjoy consensus more or less.
Whoa, wait a minute. Consensus? Let's not jump to conclusions. I count no more than a handful of commenters in this thread, and they're not even in complete agreement. There are potentially hundreds, if not thousands, of others who have not voiced opinions here. Maybe those users would agree, maybe not. But we can hardly claim a consensus! Only Omni has a true sense of the kind of feedback coming in.

Before this feature was implemented, there was an equally vocal group of users asking for the current behavior. The consensus seemed clear and Omni responded. Now that the change is up for preview, the first group is likely happily working away while the "second shift" steps in asking for the old behavior. I guess you really can't make all the people happy all the time. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by macula View Post
Really, all we are asking for is a hard-wired bin for projects and action groups. Omni produces very elegant software, and pretty much everything is well thought-out; I am sure they realize that the present situation is not tenable in the long term.
You seem to be projecting your firmly held belief on everyone. I'm not saying this proposal is necessarily bad, but I still remain unconvinced that it's the best solution. Perhaps others feel the same way and simply don't have the time or energy to debate it here.

Personally, I like the new blocking nature of action groups -- that seems perfectly natural and intuitive to me. I also like empty parents (i.e. projects/groups without next actions) to "bubble up" in context mode. That feels perfectly natural and intuitive to me too. I've felt it should work that way for years, although I never made a fuss about it.

The only uncertainty in my mind is the issue of what context the parent should appear in. The current sneaky peak implementation seems like a simple solution that makes use of existing functionality (i.e. the default context field), so it was an obvious first choice for getting this feature out for alpha testing. That's what the sneaky peaks are all about.

My concern with Curt's propsal of a dedicated "Parents" bin is: would I still be able to see my parents intermingled with my actions or would I only be able to see them in a separate view? I want to be able to check off actions in a group and eventually see the action group itself appear in the same view (with my filter set to available). I *do not* want to have to click on a Parents bin to find the related parent, nor do I want to Command or Shift-click on both my Contexts bin and Parents bin and end up seeing seperate sections for parents and actions. Now that seems clumsy and inelegant to me.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2010-02-20 at 09:19 AM..