The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > Bonjour sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

iPhone Bonjour sync-ing situation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The instructions on my Mac an iPhone don't seem to cover the situation I'm seeing. I just downloaded the iPhone version of OmniFocus (1.1.4). My Mac and iPhone are on the same wireless network. I would like to sync to the existing OmniFocus on my Mac (version 1.5 v77.13.4.0.107002).

On the Mac, Preferences, Sync, Bonjour. Already have done "Keep the sync database on this Mac", set a password, and sync-ed. Then, on my iPhone, start up OmniFocus, choose "Set Up Sync". Then it tells me to "Click the Share Settings button on your Mac, then tap your user name n the list below." The iPhone has a field that says "Searching ..." but nothing comes up.

BTW, since the iPhone says, "If you don't see your name in the list, click the Send Settings button ...." Did that too, but it certainly seems like the Mac and the iPhone can't see each other, no?

I know the Mac and the iPhone are on the same wireless network. There is no firewall on the Mac. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagliere View Post
On the Mac, Preferences, Sync, Bonjour. Already have done "Keep the sync database on this Mac", set a password, and sync-ed. Then, on my iPhone, start up OmniFocus, choose "Set Up Sync". Then it tells me to "Click the Share Settings button on your Mac, then tap your user name n the list below." The iPhone has a field that says "Searching ..." but nothing comes up.
You did actually click the "Share Settings" button on the Mac, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You did actually click the "Share Settings" button on the Mac, right?
Most assuredly.

Something similar happened to me once on a wireless network hosted by an AirPort Base Station. I rebooted the AirPort, and my iPhone and Mac started seeing each other in OmniFocus again.

Well, I still haven't figured out why it's not working on the WiFi I was talking about earlier, which is a network at my office. However, on my home's WiFi, I had no real problem. My iPhone sync-ed fine to my MacBook Pro, which I'd brought home with me.

So, the next day, yesterday I had success with the following. And now I am doing this whenever I want to sync -- so, it's something I have to remember to do, but it's working.

On the Mac, pulling down the Airport icon to "Create Network...", I create a temporary network from the Mac. Then, on my iPhone, I go to the iPhone's settings, and choose that WiFi network. Then, when I open OmniFocus on the iPhone, eventually (it does sometimes take a while for the iPhone to get all its planets aligned) it syncs. Later, I remove the network -- actually I turn off the Mac's Airport so that my machine is not discoverable *all* the time (I'm Ethernet-ed after all).

Cool. I now have a way to sync via Bonjour, albeit with more steps than I'd like. Just thought I'd tidy up this thread. At least a bit. There is still one mystery to solve: what's going on with the WiFi that is already set up in the office here. It does not surprise me though. There have been all kinds of problems with it over time, though I imagine this is an intentional Firewall/security kind of issue. I would just like to understand it.

Hey, i just went on my mac to system preferences > sharing where I had absolutely nothing checked. So I just turned on file sharing, and then went through the process again. It may be coincidental rather than causal, but after i played around in system preferences > sharing, was when everything suddenly worked for me and the sync went very smoothly. Otherwise I just followed the steps per the original post in this thread.