The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Weekly review function/mode? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just joined the forum, and haven't yet delved into what OmniFocus is aiming to offer yet, so forgive me if something like this has already been discussed elsewhere.

I was surprised to find no substantial returns when searching the forums for "Weekly Review", considering how much emphasis David Allen gives the Weekly Review as a means to successfully implementing GTD.

I recently gave iGTD a shot (still a young, fledgling little app), and gave the developer this suggestion. I felt it'd be worth throwing out there for OmniFocus.

So, how about a 'Weekly Review' mode, with a toolbar icon that would immediately bring up its own window that solely listed the active Projects List in one column, and the Someday/Maybe list in another. There would be drag & drop functionality between the two, and perhaps a column or window of editable questions and content that the user would want to ask him/herself or look at during the weekly review.

At the bottom right of the Weekly Review window there would be a 'Weekly Review complete' close-window button, and the Weekly Review icon in the main window (or perhaps the application icon in the dock) would have some sort of glaring prompt (change to red, perhaps) if the last time the user hit the 'Weekly Review complete' button was over a week ago.

I also posted a related suggestion for a 'View as Mindmap' feature over in the mindmapping thread, too, but really that's just as much a review mode request as it is a discussion of mindmapping.

So much of all the GTD apps seem to focus solely on what David Allen describes as the 'Horizontal' stuff, whereas I think that the true promise of GTD is getting all of that under control so you can have a strong handle on what he calls the 'Vertical' stuff.

The Weekly Review seems to be a big key to making that happen, and I haven't seen an app yet that tries to make it easier to do (and yes, I have looked at Midnight Inbox - from where I'm looking that app seems to try to do too much, and I never got the hang of it all).