The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Next Action in German version? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I use the German OF v1.2.3 _ Apr 30, 2009 and I wonder where to find the NEXT Button? in the Settings I find only

Available - Remaining - All

at the Projects and the Context. :confused:

If there is no NEXT in the German version: Can I switch to the English?

Anyone any idea? Thanks a lot,
Michael

That's odd, I just switched my iPod touch to Deutsch and I see:

In "Projekte" anzeigen:

Verfügbar Übrig Alles

In "Kontexte" anzeigen:

Weiter Verfügbar Übrig

In any case, the English version lists Next Available Remaining for the button captions for Context mode, so try selecting the first one and see if you get the results you expect. Remember that for sequential projects/action groups, there won't be any difference between Next and Available.

I'm also using 1.2.3. Now to see if I remember enough Deutsch to set my iPod back to English :)

I still wonder why the manual gives me the impression that there should be four buttons for Projects and Context.

And as I am such a newbie to GTD and OF, I just saw different things appearing when I change NEXT / AVAILABLE but don't know exactly what this means to me :) David Allen's book is ordered, so there is still hope for me.

Thanks again for your help!
Michael

(If you still have a German iPod: EINSTELLUNGEN -> ALLGEMEIN -> LANDESEINSTELLUNGEN -> SPRACHE - and by this I have learned how to change language on my iPhone.)

There are a total of four different buttons, but only three of them are choices for Projects and a different set of three for Contexts. There isn't much utility to showing completed actions in Context view on the iPhone/iPod, for example, and similarly if you are viewing a single project, showing only the next available action doesn't provide much utility either.

The difference between Available actions and Next Actions is not complex. A Next action is the next step you can take to advance a project toward completion. An Available action is an action that you can do now without doing something else first. If it has a start date/time, that date/time is in the past. It is not in a project or context which is on hold or dropped. For a sequential project (or a sequential action group), the Next action and the Available actions are the same -- the top of the list. For parallel projects/action groups and Single Action Lists, you have multiple choices as to what you can do next. For parallel projects/action groups, the top of the list is presented as the Next action, and all of the available actions are presented as Available actions. For Single Action Lists, all of the available choices are presented both as Next actions and Available actions. The thinking is that there is no connection between the items (except that they are in the same list) and so no preference is implied by the ordering.

While you wait for the book to arrive, you might investigate whether your library has an electronic copy you can read online, like mine does.

I did get my iPod back to English, though for a while I had an extra button on the keyboard. Once you turn on another language that uses a different keyboard arrangement, even if you only have one language enabled, you'll get the button for switching keyboard arrangements until you go back to the International preferences and select the keyboards you want available (Tastaturen, right below Sprache).

Wow! What a helpful answer! Thank you so much for explaining the different Action-modes.

Book will be here for the weekend. When it comes to reading, I am still the old paper guy :-) And I think before the weekend there will be no time for reading GTD.

Thanks again for your help,
Michael.

(I activated three keyboards: german / english / french - great tool on the iPhone)