The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Single tail transaction? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I downloaded the latest build and started getting the following message:

"Unable to read document.
Was expecting a single tail transaction, but found 2."

Went back to an earlier build (from my Trash) and get the same message. Can't open or close the application. Have to force-quit.

Anyone else have this problem?

Caroline

I have that with the current build: reverting to a backup cured it for me (for now). I have never had the error before, I only have 1 mac and 1 copy of OF (plus I was opening OF straight after booting up, having closed it as normal before last shut down) so Ken's explanation definitely doesn't apply to me. I suspect there is some bug in the way the transaction logging is being handled in the last few builds, but I'm not a coder so I could be wildly wrong on that.

Not sure I can revert to a back-up. I'd settle for just starting from scratch again with the newest build. But when I try to do that from the website, I get the same "tail"message. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline View Post
Not sure I can revert to a back-up. I'd settle for just starting from scratch again with the newest build. But when I try to do that from the website, I get the same "tail"message. Help!
You should be able to revert to a backup as follows:

1. In Finder, open the ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder.

2. Drag the OmniFocus.ofocus (and OmniFocus~.ofocus file, if it exists), to the trash (or the Desktop, if you'd like to send a copy for troubleshooting to Omni).

3. Start OmniFocus, which will create a new file.

4. From the File menu, choose Revert to Database Backup...

5. In the dialog that opens, navigate to your ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups folder and open the most recent backup document.

That should restore your database from the most recent backup. You have to do step #1 because regardless of the application build, the application tries to open the same OmniFocus data file.

I was also hit by this bug this morning (build 91354). Thanks for those recovery instructions, Brian - you saved me a lot of pain!

Another "me too" on this. The immediate backup (from when OF quit to do the update) works, so I don't think it's something inherent to the file until OF writes stuff out.

Or could it be something that's latent and needs to be fixed in the data itself?

Thank you! Up and running again.
Caroline

Me too.
I read Ken's explanation.
I think somethings else is going on. I use one computer and one data set.
Backup seems fine. Lost some data since last BU.