The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Purchasing Omnifocus direct or through App Store? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've already purchased the iPad and Iphone app. It's time to purchase OF, but I'm not sure which way is better.

Generally, I like to purchase all software through the App store as this makes it very easy to find and redownload software centrally if needed.

But is it true that App store copies can't get updated without purchasing a brand new copy? And/or, updates/fixes will be slower to the App store versions compared to the standard versions?

Thanks.

Before Lion, the only choice for developers was a free update or a new version of the app that everyone had to buy (just as it works in the iOS store). Lion now supports in-app purchases so in theory the update could be done with an in-app purchase, but that presents a number of issues that make it more difficult to write the app.

Updates through the Mac App Store do need to wait for Apple's approval so OmniGroup could release them sooner for people who bought directly.

Since the OmniGroup has always offered reasonable upgrading pricing on their other apps, I've purchased all my OmniGroup apps directly from them (and it saves them Apple's 30% cut).

I'd be curious to hear their plans for how they're going to handle major version updates, but I suspect they're not ready to make that decision public and they may not have even made the decision yet.

At this point, I think it's safer to buy directly from them, but that's just my opinion (and I don't work for OmniGroup).

The Appstore-purchased version also brings some technical disadvantages with it.

I agree with those posting various disadvantages to buying the App Store version, and I'd like to point out that one of the advantages to buying the App Store version isn't that big when dealing with Omni. Omni software comes with its own updater code built-in, it's easy to download the software from the Omni website, and you can easily retrieve your licenses from them via their website at https://store.omnigroup.com/lost/ if you misplace the registration email. Not quite as easy as logging into the App Store and telling it to download another copy of all of your purchased applications, but that convenience (likely to be used very infrequently, whereas some of the advantages might be used daily) hardly outweighs the current disadvantages of purchasing Omni apps from the App Store previously noted.