The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Add tasks via Mail Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

As a relatively new user, I'm struggling a bit to work out how you can email tasks to yourself and have them appear in OF - any help appreciated.

Thank you - Graeme

Go to the OmniFocus Help menu, select OmniFocus Help, enter "processing mail" in the search field, and have a look at the page that comes up. Even has examples...

If you have specific questions after reading it, by all means ask away!

Tried this and it worked first time - genius, thank you.
Just putting '--' in the subject line put it straight into OF.

Appreciate your help - off to see if I can sync to iCal now!

Thanks - Graeme

This feature is great, but it's a shame attachments aren't inserted too. I email myself audio notes using Note2self, but only the subject ends up in OF.

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
This feature is great, but it's a shame attachments aren't inserted too.
That does seem like an obvious addition to the feature set. Can't have everything in 1.0 or it will never ship!

The current arrangement allows adding multiple actions from a single message. Would you be willing to be restricted to single actions from messages with attachments?

There's been some activity in this area on this thread here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
The current arrangement allows adding multiple actions from a single message. Would you be willing to be restricted to single actions from messages with attachments?
Would I need to be?

If doing it manually from mail I can create as many actions as I want, all linked to the original message whether it has an attachment or not.

If I'm doing it automatically (using a rule that runs the applescript to add the message to the OF inbox), then that can only create one action anyway. All I want is for that script to add a link to the attachment, or even just back to the message itself, whereas now it simply adds the subject.

Mark

Well, right now you can have a single email that has a bunch of actions specified, and they'll all be added to OmniFocus. If there are attachments to the email, presumably you don't want that attachment going to each and every one of those new actions, right? Either you need to make some assumptions about how to divvy up the attachments to the actions, or some restrictions (one action and one attachment would be the obvious choice), or invent some additional specifications to describe what goes where.

I think I must be misunderstanding you somewhere. Yes of course if a message has several attachments, I might not want all of them attached to all actions I create from it, but that's going to be a problem no matter what I do as OF can't possibly know what I want.

But we're talking here about OF automatically adding a message as an action. It can only do that once (it happens as the message is recieved, and it's only recieved once), and given that it has to have a specific subject it's likely I've deliberately sent it to myself intending it to be turned into an action, so would have been careful to only include the attachments I want?

Unless you're telling me there's some way I don't know about to have OF add several actions automatically, on receipt of a single e-mail? Even then, it's totally under my control when I construct the e-mail surely?

Mark

Yes, you can generate multiple actions from a single email. Here's a snippet from the help page ("processing mail" will get this):

Quote:
The way that messages are processed is pretty detailed, and you have a lot of power in how you can format your items:
The subject and body of the message are joined into a single block of text.
The first line, and any other lines starting with -- (double-hyphens), become new actions. Other lines become notes for the preceding action.