The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Why are parent tasks invisible in context view? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have to say that this is a big big bug for me, and I'm finding I have switched to using 'The Hit List' as my task list has grown.

In Omnifocus I have a lot of perspectives set up, but many of them (e.g. due soon) are basically un-useable if you have a lot of tasks. sub-tasks can become a little like 'noise' if you don't have the parent task as a context.

For example - I can see that 'Due Tomorrow' is to run through my 'Daily Plan' - which gives a 10 step schedule of routine tasks I like to do. In the Hit List, this shows up solely as an expandable single 'Daily Plan' Task, whereas in Omnifocus I have a list of every sub-task - and I can't collapse the list!!!

When you have nested sub-tasks it's really inconvenient to have them clutter up the view...

I really prefer OmniFocus's attitude and power - but it's something as simple as this which lets it down - please please let me know when this is fixed... if it were fixed, I'd switch back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promethean View Post
I really prefer OmniFocus's attitude and power - but it's something as simple as this which lets it down - please please let me know when this is fixed... if it were fixed, I'd switch back.
Hmm, I'm not convinced it needs to be fixed. Context mode is designed to view your actions individually based on context, regardless of project or action group. If you follow a pure GTD approach, this is an important concept.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, if you restrict all actions to their action groups in context mode, you're missing out on all the control and flexibility provided by the view bar in that mode (i.e. the ability to look at your tasks in new and different ways, group/sort them by context, dates, state, etc.).

It sounds like what you really want is to view your project in planning mode. Then you can see everything exactly as you laid it out in your various action groups and everything is collapsable.

It seems to me that OmniFocus gives you the best of both worlds.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-06-15 at 10:34 AM..