The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

text-based export format requests Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There are some handy text-based output formats I'd love to be able to use which I'm guessing your devs can implement without much trouble:

First, and most useful, would be a couple of LaTeX styles, one that goes directly to LaTeX lists (http://www.image.ufl.edu/help/latex/lists.shtml), and one that maps to the LaTeX section hierarchy (http://www.image.ufl.edu/help/latex/intext.shtml).

It would also be nice to have some Wiki styles, again, one for list-style output and one for heading-style. The problem there is that Wikis are not fully standardized, but either MediaWiki or Twiki syntax would be great.

Even crude/beta/experimental export for LaTeX and Wiki would be helpful, as right now it's an annoyance to get my beautiful outlines into a form that's semantically meaningful to these text-based systems

I second the motion for a Twiki export feature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgross View Post
It would also be nice to have some Wiki styles, again, one for list-style output and one for heading-style. The problem there is that Wikis are not fully standardized, but either MediaWiki or Twiki syntax would be great.

Another second for MediaWiki, I was looking at the SDK to do this, but a proper export addin for the format would be excellent.

Another vote for exporting MediaWiki ready output. This would be an extremely useful way to share meeting notes and other structured documents. Perhaps multi-column outline files could be output as wiki tables (which for me, would be a nice time-saver).

I was actually looked at this awhile ago and wasn't sure how it would work. I'd have to look at the specs again as I can't remember any specifics but I think I wasn't sure what would be headers versus list items.

Being a new (and basic) user of OmniOutliner and immediately searching for a Twiki export feature I created a super quick perl script to take care of most of the conversion. This does require that you're not afraid of opening a terminal :-)

PHP Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

while (<>) {

s/^                - \[ \]/            */;

s/^            - \[ \]/         */;

s/^        - \[ \] /         * /;

s/^    - \[ \] /   * /;

s/^- \[ \] /---++ /; 
  print;

This probably doesn't make a lot of sense unless you know perl and/or regular expressions, but it does the job, more or less.

The approach I use:

1) Click top-left corner of open project in OmniOutliner and click CMD-A to mark everything, then CMD-C to copy to clipboard
2) Open a terminal
3) pbpaste > project.input
4) cat project.input | ./convert.pl > project.twiki
5) cat project.twiki | pbcopy

... where convert.pl is the script included in this port.
This will generate a Twiki source code that you can copy into a twiki editor. Step 5) places the content in your clipboard so you can just CMD-V it into a browser editor window.

Hope this helps someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
3) pbpaste > project.input
4) cat project.input | ./convert.pl > project.twiki
5) cat project.twiki | pbcopy
You could simplify that to

pbpaste | ./convert.pl | pbcopy

and save some typing and housekeeping...