The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

YOUR GUESS: How much it will cost vs. how much it should cost? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well, not everyone bothers to read the full description before making their decision, but the App Store description for OmniGraffle for iPad does clearly state that you have 30 days to ask for all of your money back if you don't like it, and I see no reason to believe that Omni will not include OmniFocus in that policy (http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/30_day_guarantee/).

No doubt there will be people who don't even look at the app when they see the price (whatever it is), but below some price point, for an application you want to support and have your customers actually use for more than a few hours before tossing it aside, it just isn't worth the trouble to get most of those people on board as customers. Disposable app <-> disposable customers. Figuring out just where that limit is is something I'm glad I don't have to do :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
No doubt there will be people who don't even look at the app when they see the price (whatever it is), but below some price point, for an application you want to support and have your customers actually use for more than a few hours before tossing it aside, it just isn't worth the trouble to get most of those people on board as customers.
This is certainly true for Omni Group products. You're definitely paying a premium for high quality customer support, and they certainly couldn't afford to increase their user base without consideration of that cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_Doc View Post
Some developers release a limited version for free as a demo. Perhaps an app that only allows 20 or so tasks to be entered.

That might help to rope in a a few more OF devotees!
I don't think that is likely to work. Properly analyzing OF takes a lot of work. Watching or reading tutorials would be, IMHO, far more effective for a newbie than a 20 task version of OmniFocus. I think you'd get a *lot* more noise - people who didn't get it getting confused - than signal.

I am totally expecting to pay around the $40 range for OF iPad version, and I will be happy to do it.

I purchased OG for $50 without ever using OG before (Mac version). I trusted that OMNI would put out a good product based on my previous experience with OF for the Mac and iPhone. I did read all the reviews before purchasing, and that is something everyone should do, as well as read the description/specs/etc. that are listed for the app. I generally go to the developers website and poke around before I purchase any app that is more than $5. A lot of apps do not come with a manual, it's the forums that give you that extra help to figure something out and OMNI has very good and active forums, along with customer support. That is one thing that makes it worth the price, but the main reason is the power (functionality) that OMNI puts into their apps. The quality and functionality of the desktop version of OF is brought into the iPone app and I fully expect it to be in the iPad app. Why would anyone expect it to be less than half that of the desktop version?

Quote:
Well, not everyone bothers to read the full description before making their decision, but the App Store description for OmniGraffle for iPad does clearly state that you have 30 days to ask for all of your money back if you don't like it, and I see no reason to believe that Omni will not include OmniFocus in that policy
Ah, well that is cool. Certainly with a 30-d return policy, folks should be willing to try it w/o worrying about the cost. However, I suspect you are right that not everyone gets that far in the description. I haven't noticed money-back offers from too many app developers and I'm not sure how seriously I'd consider them even if I saw one.

AppAdvice have some interesting comments on Omni's pricing, albeit in regard to OmniGraphSketcher, see this link.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-27 at 02:50 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
AppAdvice have some interesting comments on Omni's pricing, albeit in regard to OmniGraphSketcher, see this link.
"adequate support"?!?

As for the lasting appeal, it seems like a tool to be bought only if you need to produce that sort of graph for which it is well-suited. If you have a regular need to do so (the most rational reason for buying it, I think) I don't see why the appeal should fade.

I only have the Mac version, couldn't justify buying the iPad version as well. It turns out my need to produce such graphs on the iPad consists almost entirely of cases where I want to help someone on the forum do so on theirs :)

Hadn't heard of that podcast, thanks for bringing it to my attention. We now return to the regularly scheduled waiting and speculation about OmniFocus for iPad :)

Quote:
"adequate support"?!?

As for the lasting appeal, it seems like a tool to be bought only if you need to produce that sort of graph for which it is well-suited. If you have a regular need to do so (the most rational reason for buying it, I think) I don't see why the appeal should fade.

I only have the Mac version, couldn't justify buying the iPad version as well. It turns out my need to produce such graphs on the iPad consists almost entirely of cases where I want to help someone on the forum do so on theirs :)

Hadn't heard of that podcast, thanks for bringing it to my attention. We now return to the regularly scheduled waiting and speculation about OmniFocus for iPad :)
"without more features, few outside of the business community will find this otherwise fantastic program worth the 15 bucks."

Med student here. OGS iPad = only tool I've seen that helps me memorize graphs and charts by redrawing them "by hand" but looking closer to the textbook original than the Kraken (I can't draw to save my life). Well worth the price for me.

Quote:
"adequate support"?!?
You'll have to try just a little bit harder, whpalmer4 :)

Quote:
I only have the Mac version, couldn't justify buying the iPad version as well.
Too expensive, huh? OK, how about if it was 99¢ ... ? ::rolleyes:

Quote:
It turns out my need to produce such graphs on the iPad consists almost entirely of cases where I want to help someone on the forum do so on theirs.
Confess! What are you after, martyrdom or canonisation? :p ps. I have a suspicion from most of the responses to my posts that I'm going to be burnt as a witch!

Quote:
We now return to the regularly scheduled waiting and speculation about OmniFocus for iPad :)
Um, wrong thread? This one's all about pricing!!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-27 at 05:45 AM..

I paid for both the iPhone app and the Mac app. Paying for yet another "parallel incarnation" of OF 1.x frankly is not something I look forward too. But if the price isn't exorbitant (say, over $35) I guess I'll do it anyway.

Having said that, the higher the price of this iPad version turns out to be, the less likely it is that I will ever pay for an update to OF 2 on the Mac.

I think a fair price would be $25.