The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How Does Omnifocus Process an email action? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Page 40 of the pdf manual says
Quote:
you can send a specially-formatted email to yourself and OmniFocus will process it later.
I'm unclear what this means.
If the mail arrives in mail.app is it sent to OF, or does the user have to transfer it from mail.app to OF?
Looking at the rule that gets created when you check the box it appears that the incoming mail gets deleted. If that is the case how does the information get into OF?

The rule *should* have 4 steps:
- Delete Message
- Mark as Read
- Run AppleScript > Send to OmniFocus
- Stop evaluating rules

That AppleScript is what puts the action in the OmniFocus inbox.

------
However, if you're using Omni Sync Server already, you could use Mail Drop instead: http://www.omnigroup.com/support/omnifocus-mail-drop
(Since Mail Drop adds actions directly to your OmniFocus database on the server, you don't have to wait for your Mac to receive the email and process the rules before you see the action in OmniFocus.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post

That AppleScript is what puts the action in the OmniFocus inbox.

------
However, if you're using Omni Sync Server already, you could use Mail Drop instead: http://www.omnigroup.com/support/omnifocus-mail-drop
(Since Mail Drop adds actions directly to your OmniFocus database on the server, you don't have to wait for your Mac to receive the email and process the rules before you see the action in OmniFocus.)
Thanks.

I did change the rule to add the script, but for whatever reason I couldn't get it to work.

However, I subsequently found the Mail Drop solution and that's working perfectly.