The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Window position bug still not fixed Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
As of OmniWeb-5.5.2-beta-1-v607.7 the window position bug is still not fixed. Why doesn't OW remember my default window position?

I assume you're referring to the issue you posted in a previous thread on this topic?
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=2184

If so, the answer is there.

It's not necessarily a cascading issue, I tried the terminal fix and it doesn't fix it.

Using workspaces as a workaround works, but it's a workaround, and as such it still has defects.

All I'm asking is for a simple bug fix. So far I haven't seen any satisfiable reason of why this bug still exists and why it has made it this far. Hey, I was even expecting the "It's not a bug it's a feature!" excuse but not even that.

How can a meticulously refined browser such as OW have this sort of bug slip like this? I'm all ears.

Hello, sorry, I'm not really sure which bug you're referring to. Can you give us some more details of what isn't working?

Perhaps it is because so few people use more than one window at a time these days that we just haven't noticed it enough to need to send in a report?

Ok how to reproduce the bug:

1. In OW, make sure there is only one window around.
2. Drag the OW window to the top-left corner making sure none of it is hidden offscreen. In other words, the window would be right below the menubar touching it and with its width boundaries not going off-screen. Aso make it relatively small, not full size.
3. Go to Window -> Save window size
4. Close window and open a new one through command-N.

Bug: instead of using the location that I set, the new window gets shifted down and to the right. For the down shiftment I imagine it's cascading from a previous ghost window which is clearly brainless and a bug. For the side shifting, I imagine it's space saved for a possible drawer? Either way I expect my location to be respected, regardless of whether I use drawers or their orientation.

Furthermore when I quit OW and restart it, the window it comes with has a completely weird location. Only after I close it will OW use my location.

Yea sure, I use tabs all the time, but I close and reopen browser windows all the time as well. There is a lot of location madness going on here.

What you're seeing is OmniWeb adjusting the position to allow for your tab drawer--it also bumps it down a bit from the top of the screen. No bug here though perhaps it is unexpected functionality.

On launch it should place the first window in the same spot unless you have a snapshot taken, in which case it will load that. Try closing all your windows and then choose "Take Snapshot" from the OmniWeb window.

Troyb, what he referred to was not the window position at startup, but the window position of a newly created window. This will always be cascaded, if there's another window open or not.

It would be nicer if cascading started at the original saved window position again if there is no window open, currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel
Troyb, what he referred to was not the window position at startup, but the window position of a newly created window. This will always be cascaded, if there's another window open or not.

It would be nicer if cascading started at the original saved window position again if there is no window open, currently.
It does... or it should at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
It does... or it should at least.
Don't get me wrong though. The cascading in OmniWeb could definitely be more intelligent than it currently is.