The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Frustrated... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am getting more and more frustrated with Omnifocus.

Two major points:

The Mail - Clippings function stopped working. I followed the thread with all the settings etc., but it still does nothing. 10.6.4, Latest sneaky peak.

My other point is that it seems impossible to show ONLY ALL the items, which have a start date set earlier than today. I changes every possible settings in the view - bar, but i found no way. Omnifocus starts making my life more complicated, because everyday I have to go to all my projects and scroll down every list to look for those items (the "sort by" popup does not work).

Thanks for help

Wolfgang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wok4 View Post
I am getting more and more frustrated with Omnifocus.
Sorry to hear that — I'll try to eliminate some of the frustration.
Quote:
Two major points:

The Mail - Clippings function stopped working. I followed the thread with all the settings etc., but it still does nothing. 10.6.4, Latest sneaky peak.
Could you describe in a bit more detail what you did, and what happens when you try to clip a message? When did it stop working, and did you do anything else at the same time (like install a new version of 10.6, or OmniFocus)?
Quote:
My other point is that it seems impossible to show ONLY ALL the items, which have a start date set earlier than today. I changes every possible settings in the view - bar, but i found no way. Omnifocus starts making my life more complicated, because everyday I have to go to all my projects and scroll down every list to look for those items (the "sort by" popup does not work).
Okay, you want to go to Context mode. View bar settings should be Group by Start, Sort by whatever is appropriate, show Available actions. Turn on the columns for Project and Context as appropriate. Close the groups for start dates in the future or no start date. Save as a perspective for future use.

I'm unsure what you mean by the "sort by" popup — are you referring to the View Bar, or are you referring to the actual popup menu you can get by right-clicking or control-clicking? They both have a Sort function, but the View Bar sort only affects the display, whereas the other one (also can be reached via Edit->Sort) actually alters your data. The View Bar sort in Project mode will sort projects by your sort key, not the actions in the projects. Edit->Sort will actually sort the actions, but will destroy whatever existing sequencing you have for those actions. Looking at it a different way, if you bring up two identical windows and use the View Bar sort in one of them, the other window's contents will be unchanged. If you use Edit->Sort, both windows will be changed. If you want to see your projects with their actions sorted but not changed, I suggest going to Context mode (where you can sort actions with the View Bar), Grouping by Project, Sorting by your desired sort key. You don't get all of the hierarchical structure that way, but it should be sufficient for what it sounds like you are trying to do.

If I have misunderstood your questions, or you don't understand my answers, ask them again worded differently and I'll try again in the morning :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Sorry to hear that — I'll try to eliminate some of the frustration.

Could you describe in a bit more detail what you did, and what happens when you try to clip a message? When did it stop working, and did you do anything else at the same time (like install a new version of 10.6, or OmniFocus)?
I am not shure when it happens, its some time ago. Now it just beeps, nothing happens. I removed the Clip-O-Tron, reinstalled it, assigned a different Shortcut, ...?
I followed the threads, but I can not get any shortcut for OF show up in System Preferences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Okay, you want to go to Context mode. View bar settings should be Group by Start, Sort by whatever is appropriate, show Available actions. Turn on the columns for Project and Context as appropriate. Close the groups for start dates in the future or no start date. Save as a perspective for future use.
Bingo. Helpfull tip of the week: "Close the groups for start dates in the future or no start date". Simple, but now it works. I have a view with my started ToDos. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Sounds like your best bet is to contact the Omni support ninjas in about 8 hours. 800-315-OMNI or +1-206-523-4152.

Try this troubleshooting step:

Go into System Preferences, click on the 'Keyboard' section, click on 'Keyboard Shortcuts' at the top, then click on 'Services' on the left.

Do you see any entries in the window to the right?

Stefan