The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

New to GTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm in the process of reading Allen's GTD book. I've never used GTD but I can see I can definitely benefit from the system.

I do own OOP. I will also buy OF when released. Since it sounds like OF will pretty much have an interface very similar to OOP, I'm wondering if I should go ahead an use kGTD with OOP to get my feet wet, or should I wait until I've finished reading the book and then start with OF.

One thing I hate doing is learning a software program, then having to almost start over again with another. So, would I benefit starting with OOP and kGTD? I'm in no hurry, so I have problem waiting for OF.

My understanding is that OF will have a low learning curve... and will suck in whatever kGTD file people have.

I don't think there'll be much learning.

If you're embarking on GTD as a practice then I think you might want to just start. The relief of getting it all out of your head and into a system is very palpable.

Besides you might be waiting a while, there's no hint yet of when OF will hit public beta (Or is there? ahem...). I do think you should work out a system that does the job now. Kinkless is hard to beat.

On the other hand, I've been GTD for over a year now and only now do I feel like I'm across it in a full way. I think you do work your way into it and it takes time. So perhaps wating wouldn't be that bad...

Last edited by TommyW; 2007-03-11 at 08:50 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW
My understanding is that OF will have a low learning curve... and will suck in whatever kGTD file people have.
That's good. Pulling in what I learn with kGTD would make the transistion hopefully painless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
...snip...One thing I hate doing is learning a software program, then having to almost start over again with another. So, would I benefit starting with OOP and kGTD? I'm in no hurry...snip...
Although I share your sensible dislike of covering the same ground multiple times, MY experience with GTD and kGTD and Allen's book is that one doesn't usually GTR (Get Things Right) on one pass.

(If it were that easy, I wouldn't have needed a book!)

I found that after reading the book and setting up kGTD there was a measurable improvement in productivity and decrease in stress - but that as time went on I learned from my mistakes and got better about what and how I defined as tasks and sub-tasks, more honest about how I established time-lines and dead-lines.

So, I say: start today, but recognize that there are many layers to this onion! Don't let the ideal be the enemy of the good. (Pardon my misquoting.)

Peter

I'd certainly agree with pheski above. This gets better and more refined with time, but the main thing as pheski (and Voltaire...) point out is to get on with it.