The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can the "Context" column be hidden? If not, could it be? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi, I'm new to OmniFocus. One thing I'm wondering is whether there's a way to hide the "context" column in the same way that due dates can be hidden? I don't find contexts helpful (and being only able to assign one context per item probably contributes to that), so that column just clutters up the UI right now for me. If there's some important reason why the context column can't be hidden, it would be nice if empty context columns didn't say "No context" for every item. That just creates visual clutter.

I think offering the option to hide this column would also help make OmniFocus more accessible to new users. The program has a bit of a learning curve because of its complexity, and one less visual option might help.

You can't hide the Context column currently, and while I don't speak for Omni, I doubt you'll see them providing that option. The context concept is a powerful one, and one that is woven through every bit of the fabric. OmniFocus doesn't even consider an action without a context assigned to be available for action! If you are determined to use it without contexts, I would suggest you instead set a default context whenever you create a project, so that everything will get the same context without you having to add one, and then you'll be able to use the powerful filtering abilities of the program to distinguish between things that you can work on now, and things that you can't. In my opinion, if you aren't going to use contexts, OmniOutliner might have been a better purchase...

What is it that makes you feel that contexts aren't useful? Presumably you're not coming at this from a GTD background; is there another popular approach that you are using, or a scheme of your own creation? If you tell us more about how you do your work, we can help you unlock the full potential of the tools you purchased. I'm always interested in learning about work styles and environments other than my own, and have learned a great deal from the other forum contributors.