The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

When to use a Sub-Project VS a Folder Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Looking for some forum guidance here on advice for when to use a sub project vs a folder...

Here is an example:

I have an extremely large project (SIF), which is made up of several smaller projects (but still large, projects in the "traditional" sense of the word - not the two actions=a project GTD-definition). I also have a folder called "Completed" that I drag completed projects into.

So, it looks something like this:
SIF (currently a folder)
----upgrade PowerSchool server
----install SIF Zone Server
----install VersaTrans SIF server
----install WordWare SIF server

Completed (a folder)

I originally had SIF as a project. I then changed it into a folder, as it really didn't have any standalone actions. So far so good.

The problem (a minor, cosmetic, yet somehow still nagging one) is as I completed one of the "SIF" sub-projects, I wanted it out of mind, and my initial gut reaction was to drag it into the Completed folder. Problem is, then it looses the association of "SIF".

I suppose alternatively I could mark the project "Inactive", to hide it from view, but that implies that it is not complete when it is.

There probably isn't a (elegant) solution here, but it is something I have come across more than once.

And I thought perhaps I was overlooking something...

I think using a folder is a good way to go. I try only to use hierarchies when there's some deliverable I need to keep track of, but there's a few steps to get there. (e.g. "Pull list of everyone in Europe" has sub-tasks of "Find list of European Countries", "Upload to DB", "Pull list") Usually these get created when I have what seems to be an atomic task (in this case, "Pull list of..."), but then it becomes clear there's a little more required to get there.

If your "projects" can be run concurrently and independently, a folder seems necessary. If not, it can still be useful organization-wise to keep things clear.

If you just want to see uncompleted projects, just filter accordingly in the view bar (and optionally create a perspective). The completed stuff will fall off without any dragging and dropping. (Forgive me if that's obvious, but it seems the easiest way to go about it) Then, once your SIF project is totally complete, you could always archive the projects' folder into a "Completed" folder.

I use folders for major life roles and goals. Many of my projects are hundred action or more projects. I use hierarchies of action groups for these. That requires careful management of sequential and parallel settings to keep everything moving, but it works very well for me. It's particularly handy for quick double-click focusing on a single big project.

A folder is definitely not necessary for sub-projects that run concurrently and independently, just set the parent of the sub-projects to use parallel execution.

Curt

I'm confused. If you mark the project complete, and you view only Active projects, it should disappear. Are you keeping your projects view generally set to All?

I second Sprugman. If you mark it Complete, it should be out of your hair unless your project filter is set to All or Completed (and in the former case, you'd also see On Hold projects).