The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniFocus App on iPhone TODAY!!! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Wait a second, can't you currently get third party apps on the iPhone? YES, YOU CAN!!!! Forget this complicated web interface business. I simply can NOT wait until a few months after the February SDK or a OmniFocus 2.0 release to truly get OmniFocus on my iPhone!

The real question is:

WHY HASN'T SOMEONE ALREADY DEVELOPED A HACK TO HAVE OMNIFOCUS ON THE IPHONE?!?!?!?!?

There is no need to wait 2+ months!

http://popsci.typepad.com/how20blog/...nfo-on-ip.html

You’re right, of course, there are already third-party apps on the iPhone and iPod touch. However, I am yet to see any application which successfully does any desktop/handheld syncing other than that provided by Apple in iTunes, viz. contacts, calendars, bookmarks, photos, videos, and music. So it would be all very well for someone (Omni Group or someone else) to develop a handheld OmniFocus, but it would be pretty pointless—IMHO—if it couldn’t sync with the desktop application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorluker View Post
I simply can NOT wait until a few months after the February SDK or a OmniFocus 2.0 release to truly get OmniFocus on my iPhone!
Sounds to me like you're not a good candidate for using unfinished/beta software.

ha ha ha ha...this thread is funny. I second the demand...make an iphone app NOW!!! I don't care that the initial product isn't even in beta yet. I want a perfect program and a perfect iphone app with perfect sycing and every other feature I want done NOW!!! There is NO reason why I have to wait to have everything I want.

Hey, there's no delayed gratification these days. NOW is the word, even if it's a hack today and has to be a total rewrite in 2 months. Spend the time!

Oh, and if you get too excited, there's Ritalin to enhance your focus. And wet-naps to clean off the drool from the Ritalin. And moisturizer to cure the chapping from the wet-naps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOne View Post
Hey, there's no delayed gratification these days. NOW is the word, even if it's a hack today and has to be a total rewrite in 2 months. Spend the time!

Oh, and if you get too excited, there's Ritalin to enhance your focus. And wet-naps to clean off the drool from the Ritalin. And moisturizer to cure the chapping from the wet-naps.
OMG -- coming from the Windoze side of things (back to the Mac, I abandoned it in 1996 when Apple was floundering).....

Anyway, companies like Palm, still have their desktop software in beta for Vista. Total incompetance.

When I expressed dismay about products not being Vista compatible upon release, my Windows (Dell) newsgroup told me that apps usually take months after the release of a new OS. Well, when I was a computer professional that would be unacceptable.

But iPhone NOW is totally unrealistic.

I too am dying for a viable iPhone interface that does not rely on a web-based solution...but in the meantime, I just had a thought. I am primarily using iGTD, but this should work with OmniFocus as well if it is synchronizing with iCal & .Mac. Check out the following site: http://iphoneigtd.com/

Enter your .Mac login....

The big problem is that it is read-only, and you can't update tasks on the fly, but you can see 'em.

The way I think the iPhone should sync is they way everything else syncs with the iPhone to a device. Then .mac (or other techniques) can sync multiple computers.

The way (for me) that the whole GTD approach works is by being able to get things instantly into a list for processing. My iPhone is always handy where I might not have my desktop or laptop immediatly accessible like in the car.

Using Jott helps but is not really a substitute for a tool for the iPhone. I have a context called iPhone as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
The way I think the iPhone should sync is they way everything else syncs with the iPhone to a device. Then .mac (or other techniques) can sync multiple computers.
I'm still undecided on whether I'd prefer a standalone iPhone version of OF or just to be able to use ToDos on the iPhone and keep using the OF-iCal syncing as it is now. I suspect part of what Omni are waiting for is to see whether Apple implement a ToDo interface on the iPhone or not.

I have found iCal todos and sync with OF or iGTD not satisfying. That is why I have often pressed for independence of the two. Besides the todo functions of a calendar program really are not up to a representation of a GTD app. So I would still want OF on the iPhone even if they had an iCal todo list for the same reason I want OF.