The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Is Quick WiFi Sync Possible? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Omni Sync was not working for some reason for a while this morning, and both my iPad and iPhone were unable to sync with my iMac. I suddenly realized that it's a huge problem if I can't sync these devices reliably as I use them at work away from home.

To avoid this in the future, is there a simple way to sync these devices over wifi at home? I don't want to have to reconfigure the sync options or do anything else time consuming, since I need Omni's cloud sync most of the time. But is there an easy way to do a wifi sync quickly before I leave for work without having to change the normal sync settings for the rest of the day?

Thanks.

Sorry, Stargazer.
Omni Sync Server has had some load issues some mornings. Today we did a rebalancing that we think will improve the situation, and looking forward we'll be more aggressive about adding new hardware as we add new users.

OmniFocus' syncing is built around the principle of having one central "true" version of the data on the server. Switching to a direct syncing model and back again "on the fly" would not work at all.

Clarification: the rebalancing is an ongoing thing - we'll be doing it on an as-needed basis to even out the load between the back end machines. (Right now, the majority of accounts are on the original server we launched with.)

That's ok. Thanks for the follow up. If you're aware of the sync issue and working on it, good enough.