The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Repeat Sequential Actions Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

Is there any way I can set-up sequential actions to repeat?

As far as I can tell, currently in OF repeating is based on dates (start/due/completed), but I'm trying to set-up actions, whose repetition depends on the completion of the previous item. (And if I end up performing the same tasks hundred times per day, it doesn't matter, as long as I get to all of them equally).

So for example, I have items 1, 2 and 3, which I need to attend to, regardless of the dates. When I complete each item, I want OF to prioritize the next item, while pushing the recently completed item at the back of the line.

1, 2, 3
2, 3, 1
3, 1, 2
1, 2, 3

It seems like a pretty dumb request, but it really helps with organization. How can I set up this kind of repeating, which depends on the sequence of items and not the dates?

It sounds like you want a sequential action group, with the action group set to complete automatically when the last action is completed, and to repeat on completion.

Make a parent action to hold the repeating tasks. Indent the repeating tasks under it to create an action group. Select the parent task and bring up the inspector. Set the parent to start again 1 minute after completion, and to automatically complete when the last contained action is complete. Do NOT set any of the actions to complete — you want OmniFocus to create a new clump of actions. Also make sure in the inspector that the parent is set to sequential execution (2 slanted arrows). Try it out and see if it does what you want.

That's exactly what I needed. I've never used actions as parents. Thanks so much.