The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Moving origo? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it possible to move the origo for the ruler?
Example:
I have a canvas with a box on it. I want that box's left side to be at x coordinate 0.

But, I don't want to stick it all the way over to the left edge of the canvas, that would make it look weird.

Instead, I'd like to put the box say 25px in from the left side to give it some visual air, and then say "Ruler, put your 0 where the left edge of this box is".

The effect would then be that the leftmost edge of the canvas would be at x coordinate -25.

Last edited by sefr0; 2009-11-11 at 07:55 AM..

You can change the ruler origin in OmniGraffle Professional; just show the rulers and drag out the origin from the upper left corner.

Hope that helps,

OK. I feel dumb now. Really dumb.

You know, I actually even tried that, but when I saw that I got two perpendicular lines I figured "No that's not right, I'm about to draw two guides.... that's not what I want to do".

Faith, I guess, is the missing factor here :-)

It may not be the best situation to propose a design change in the application, what with me just referring to my dumbness, but I guess that proposing changes to the world instead of oneself is part of being dumb, so here goes:

How about moving the origo on the rulers simultaneously with the moving about the blue cross? That would make it more apparent that I'm about to move origo, not set guides.

Have a great weekend. Thanks for the reply.

I'm using OmniGraffle 5.2.1 (not Pro) under Mac OS X 10.5.8. According to the user manual, it appears to be possible to move the ruler origin in both regular OmniGraffle as well as OG Pro (there is no note that it is a Pro-only feature). However, it decidedly is not working in my copy of regular (non-Pro) OG. Is this the case or is it somehow messed up on my system? Thanks.

I can't state with any authority whether it is supposed to be as you describe, but that's the behavior I get with a freshly downloaded copy of the non-Pro version. The little crosshair that shows up in the corner with the Pro version that you can drag to move the origins is not present.

If you've got a pressing short-term need, you could download the trial version of the Pro app...