The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

default quick entry keystroke is already assigned to spotlight Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

It's strange if this hasn't been commented, but I searched the forums without finding anything.

I am just getting started with OF after having tried a paper-based GTD approach for a little while (didn't quite work out). One of the first things I noticed was that when I made a quick entry, a spotlight window popped up as well. Turns out the default quick entry keystroke is already assigned to spotlight by OSX. This should be fixed, no? Seems a rather unnecessary nuisance to me...

I reassigned quick entry to shift+space, but this might not have been so good a choice, as I have had the quick entry window pop up twice while writing this text. Which keyboard shortcut do you prefer?

I use option command space since I use quick entry a whole lot more than I do spotlight. If you have a conflict you can re-assign spotlight shortcut in the system preferences , go to keyboard and mouse and then " keyboard shortcuts " you can make it anything you want it to be [as long as it's not already used ]

What was wrong with the default keyboard shortcut of "control+option+space"?

That's what I use. And it's NOT the keyboard shortcut assigned to Spotlight.

The 2 keyboard shortcuts assigned to Spotlight are "command+space" (which pulls up the generic Spotlight search) and "command+option+space" (which pulls up the fiter-able Spotlight search window), neither of which are the default for quick entry for OF.

Last edited by beharkey; 2008-09-25 at 07:09 AM..

In my OS, ctrl+option+space was assigned to "Show Spotlight window". I'm running a Norwegian OSX 10.5.4. Maybe this spotlight shortcut is language specific?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
I use option command space since I use quick entry a whole lot more than I do spotlight. If you have a conflict you can re-assign spotlight shortcut in the system preferences , go to keyboard and mouse and then " keyboard shortcuts " you can make it anything you want it to be [as long as it's not already used ]
Agreed.

Quote:
In my OS, ctrl+option+space was assigned to "Show Spotlight window". I'm running a Norwegian OSX 10.5.4. Maybe this spotlight shortcut is language specific?
Yes, it does appear that your spotlight is language specific. Or you reassigned your spotlight keyborad shortcut at some time in the past.