The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I really want a context-based project viewer/selector Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I often have most of my contexts available to me when I'm working on a project. Everything at my mac (email, online, offline), my work location, phone, etc are all available. In terms of selecting the most important project to work on, it feels like I only have two inefficient options right now.

1. Look at all my contexts to find something (cmd selecting multiple entries helps this out)
2. Scan my list of projects

#2 is out because it's horribly inefficient. Even though I have most of my contexts available, I don't want to be looking at Home projects when I'm at work.

#1, with the help of multiple selection almost works, but then a higher priority is given to the tasks themselves, not the projects. The projects are scrunched and tucked away on the right, and the tasks are large and distracting.

What would be great would be to select all of the available contexts, then see a list of projects available. From there, you could double-click or hit a shortcut and be focused on that particular project. I think that would help the intuitive selection that GTD is based around a lot.

I wonder if this is something that could be accomplished with Apple-script. I know nothing of Applescript, save that it's powerful... and that I ought to start learning it ;)

I think this is something that can be accomplished with the Focus feature. It's not necessarily obvious that it would, but Focus works within Context Mode, too.

You can already do this:

* Go to context mode, select the contexts of your choice

* Change the view bar to sort by projects

* Select the projects of your choice

* Focus

* Switch to projects mode.

Or, are you saying you knew this, and wanted an easier way to accomplish it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
You can already do this:

* Go to context mode, select the contexts of your choice

* Change the view bar to sort by projects

* Select the projects of your choice

* Focus

* Switch to projects mode.

Or, are you saying you knew this, and wanted an easier way to accomplish it?
wow, that pretty much does what I want it to do. I haven't spent too much time fiddling around with the View options. Everytime I open it, I just end up getting confused. I guess I need more downtime just to play around with it.

Thanks!