The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mac @ Home - Windows @ Work: How do you deal? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just wondering how those of you deal with this problem. You have a mac @ home and your using OF as your trusted system. Then you leave home and go to work which, for me, is a Windows world (mostly due to Outlook Calendering, Visio, and Framemaker).

I've tried printing out my lists on paper. I've tried bringing my mac to work everyday - it all pretty much falls short of the integrated OF experience on my mac.

Oh, I've also prototyped the mac @ home and mac @ work scenario using the thumb drive to sync the OF databases. Not fun. I work with a bunch of engineers and they can't help but ask what the hell I'm doing with a thumb drive attached to my computer whenever I walk into a new meeting.

Any suggestions? The only full solution I can come up with is getting approval to use my own personal machine at work and then dealing with running a virtual windows machine to interface to the rest of my co-workers.

iPhone sync would be a good step, but that still isn't as fluid as the OF/mac full experience.

I'm not trying to complain, I'm just wondering what other people do.

Brandon

My work situation may be a little different from yours in that I have a lot of "planning" to do for projects and then the rest is "cranking" the widgets. I can work at home a few hours a week and use that for my "planning" time on omnifocus. I print out a copy of each "project" which includes start/deadline dates for my boss, as it saves me thousands of "where" are you and when will this be done questions.

I use remember the milk-omnifocus sync to have my next actions always available, and use the google plug in to see the RTM along with google emails/current documents/calendar so I can work anywhere. I also have a PDA (necessary in my field) that I sync. My system is mostly applescripted so I only spend a minute nightly or whenever I am near my mac.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7001

This is how I survive.

In a nutshell:

Home: Mac - OmniFocus - Sync to ToodleDo
Work: Firefox - Toodledo Extension (ubiquitous capture)
Work: Firefox - ToodleDo.com (for review, tasks, etc)
Anywhere: iPhone & ToodleDo

BZ

Last edited by BwanaZulia; 2008-02-08 at 10:28 AM..

Hey, Bwanaa, thanks for pushing this Toodledo script to the front. I finally took the hint and gave it a try--wow!

I tried Toodledo, but wasn't impressed enough to stick with it, but having it as an adjunct to OF makes both programs much nicer.

ds

I agree ToodleDo isn't that great, but with the FireFox plugin, it makes a great capture and sync tool.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
. . . . The only full solution I can come up with is getting approval to use my own personal machine at work and then dealing with running a virtual windows machine to interface to the rest of my co-workers.
You may want to try running a Windows Remote Desktop client on your Mac, and remotely control your Windows machine. This is less expensive than going the vm route, and should be what you try first. If that fails (or doesn't work well enough for your purposes), then try the vm approach.

I actually run my old XP desktop as a vm on my Vista work PC, and have done the same on my MacPro at home. Unfortunately, that particular vm doesn't run nearly as well on my first gen MBP (can't add sufficient RAM). I'm mentioning this in case you go the vm route - get 4GB of RAM in your system. Your experience may be different of course, but 2GB was not enough to run my vm well.

If my boss is ever forced to demand the removal of my Mac form the corporate network, I will switch to a 3G data service - as it works well in my cube with my Windows Mobile cell phone. We'll figure out a way to make my employer pay for the data plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
iPhone sync would be a good step, but that still isn't as fluid as the OF/mac full experience.
And, IMO, it never can or will be. In the end, there is not substitute for being able to use the same Mac for your GTD and regular work system.

I want to hold that thread opened because I think it impacts many users of OF (including me) who have Windows machines at work.

I'm about to try that toodledo sync but read that the sync doesn't work in the sneak peeky builds.

Can you tell us your experiences how you handle the windows<->mac world regardinf OF?

Thanks

I bought a bottom of the line MacBook and bring it to work every day. I have my iCal, my journal, and my OF at work. It's a luxury to be able to do this but I find it's the best fix.

Simply emailing yourself text files in Taskpaper format also works well.

There are Taskpaper import and export scripts for Omnifocus on my website. The exporter automatically creates an email in OS X Mail, and the importer can be used to capture projects, tasks, sub-tasks and contexts noted down in text format while you are away from the mac.

Thank you Rob for another way to make that possible. I'm gonna try that.